Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can getting picked on in school worsen SA? I'm not talking about simple teasing. I seem to have gotten worse through high school. I wish that people would think about the things that they do and say to others. I wish they would stop and ask themselves how their behavior may affect another person. It has made me more defensive and afraid of people. There were times I wouldn't leave the house for weeks because I was so afraid of people. I used to have anger issues as well as SA. I've been able to let go of the anger for the most part, but the SA is still with me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have been bullied my whole life. I was a shy kid, but now my shyness is extreme. I am well-built so it has always been verbal abuse. I have problems defending myself when people insult/make fun of me and people pick up on my lack of confidence and exploit it. :(
Being humiliated in front of the class numerous times takes a beating on your self-esteem and you start fearing others will try to embarrass you also. It has made my SA SO MUCH WORSE. And it was bad to start off with...
It has made more self-conscious too. Cumulative bullying really has affected my life.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Can getting picked on in school worsen SA? I'm not talking about simple teasing. I seem to have gotten worse through high school. I wish that people would think about the things that they do and say to others. I wish they would stop and ask themselves how their behavior may affect another person. It has made me more defensive and afraid of people. There were times I wouldn't leave the house for weeks because I was so afraid of people. I used to have anger issues as well as SA. I've been able to let go of the anger for the most part, but the SA is still with me.
of course it can

·
Registered
690 Posts
Most defiently high school brought my SA into full effect and I haven't been the same since.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I believe that I was born with a predisposition toward shyness. Bullying by peers (and verbal abuse from my own family!) made my fear of people "rational." It turned what might have been childhood shyness that I'd grow out of into a full-fledged anxiety disorder/phobia that I will probably never recover from.

I was teased mostly about my weight. Even to this day, I'm very ashamed and would never admit it to anyone that that was what I was teased about. I almost feel like I deserved it. I wish people knew the power that words have on others! Because of the intense focus on my weight (even my parents called me fat and to this day won't apologize because, they say, I was a real brat as a kid so I deserved it), I am absolutely obsessed with my weight. I'm thin now but used to (and still do sometimes) engage in bulimic behaviors because if I gain weight I'll freak out. I don't want to be the fat girl again. I've tried to destroy pictures because I want people to see me as someone who's always been thin, instead of having a fat past.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts