Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason when i meet people they either end up close friends or not my friend at all. I have many decent/close friends but really not many acquaintances. Does this happen to anyone else?

·
Banned
309 Posts
i never make acquanitances either... only really close friends, and that happens very rarely... you are def not the only one:)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I thought having close friends would be a plus, unless you consider them to be more than what they are. :stu I would have to admit that I do that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't make close friends easily, because I don't trust people very easily. Sometimes I will click with someone easily, but don't consider them a close friend until I've vetted them ;)

Most times it'll be aquaintances. People who I know, am cordial to, might email, but wouldn't invite over, or really make an effort to chat on the phone with.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I would think having close friends is better than having no friends.
Me, I usually end up with acquaintances or people who are nothing to me, pretty much.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I find that I have more aquaintances from meeting people that my friends know, because they usually don't try to get to know me on a more personal level.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Do you consider this a problem? Who the hell wants to have tons of acquaintances. Just leads to tons of irritating pointless small talk that never actually leads anywhere.

No, that does not happen to me. I have a lot of acquaintances, pretty much no close friends.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I usually end up with acquaintances who i can say hi to, but no one I could call if i needed to or if I wanted to hang out.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Well I don't consider myself as having friends or acquaintances, though I guess I could call a few people acquaintances. But that sucks, I'd much rather have one or two good friends I can actually talk to and call up and be myself around than people who I'm just polite with.

·
Time Lord
178 Posts
even my close friends I am not very close with...so i guess in a way everyone I know is sort of an aquaintance...or I don't know them at all

·
Registered
14 Posts
me too. i only have close friends. i cant do the half half thing. like its either you will be my new really good friend or we dont click enough to hold a conversation. and its my fault. because of the SA.
but...people say thats not a bad thing but it is when you run out of people to hang out with. im usually at home .idk why. i hang out with my friends sometimes but i get bored so.
yeahhhh

·
Registered
2 Posts
can relate!

its very hard for me to have and keep friends so the very few CLOSE friends i have, i make sure im very close to them and i totally flip when i lose one of them. i can never make new friends, in fact all my friends i have known them at least over 3 years. im very tired of this and i understand completely where your coming from!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two friends. They live interstate. :clap genius! :)

But I can definitely relate. I dont keep casual friends easily at all. With casual friend it's all the difficult stuff with less of the (easier) good. There's less (needed) trust, understanding, structure etc. And then lovers/partners are easier and better again - same reasons but intensified. Blatantly knowing someone loves/adores you is a pretty good vaccination against anxiety. How terrible!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts