Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i take propanol (inderal), i feel very relaxed and more focus, but i was wondering would it also help with your concentration like ritalin does, since this would be very useful for upcoming exams at uni haha

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
It's not going to be the same as Ritalin as it acts completely differently on your brain.

But if you get physical symptoms of anxiety (ie rapid heartbeat) that distract you during a test, then propanol could help you with concentration.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The supplement "Pycnogenol" decreases catecholamines (dopamine, noradrenaline), yet still has a proven effect in treating ADHD (AFAIK).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Propranolol antagonizes (or decreases the action of) the adrenergic receptors. To put this into perspective, norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (NRIs), which increase the action of the adrenergic receptors, are routinely prescribed to treat ADD/ADHD. Ritalin is a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI) and does the same, as well as increases the activity of the dopamine receptors which contributes even more so. Essentially, what I'm saying here is that propranolol and ritalin do the opposite of each other.
interesting, does that mean drinking coffee or tea which stimulates adrenaline would be better for preparing an exam?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts