Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this might be the right forum to do so.

I would appreciate any help from people who also feel this way, or know more specific words to describe it...

Im a 17 year old guy. When i was about 16 in-a-half, i felt it hit me. Something clicked in my head. From that point on, i've been getting slowly worse.

(About five months before the anxiety started, i passed out for no reason in my house. The doctors said it was just from the cold i had and i had low blood pressure at the time. Must have got up too fast. Before the passing out, i NEVER once had a worry about passing out. After the passing out, in the five-ish months between it and the start of the anxiety, i had no anxiety. I went places. Did stuff. Everything was fine. But then it hit me)

I fear going certain places, because i dont want something bad to happen to me. I fear that something will go wrong with my body, for example not feeling like i can breathe, getting a severe headache, and MOST of all feeling dizzy and passing out. I fear the people swarming around me staring at me chanting "you'll be ok, help is coming. Relax" I fear having a random medical problem happen to me, like a seizure or something.

I also experience depersonalization/derealization on a daily bases. I believe im causing it to happen simply by thinking about it too much, which causes a 10 or so second dreamlike feeling which goes away as soon as i can get my mind consumed with something else.

These feelings only happen when im confronted with going to certain places. The mall, or any place that someone else has to drive to. I feel i need my own car so i can escape if i start feeling ill.

Heres where things might confuse you,
I work at a county park, i dont feel this anxiety about going there, so its not a problem with talking to people. I have great person to person speaking skills, i work at a front desk in a visitor center so i talk to hundreds of people a day. Possibly because i am used to this place.

So in a nutshell;

I fear having a medical problem or random episode of dizzyness while being out in certain public places and causing a scene. I don't fear interaction with people or meeting new people. I dont want to lose my girlfriend over this.

Thank you for listening. This may be a good practice for talking to a psycologist in person soon.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
Just curious. Were you taking meds when you passed out? A lot of medications cause what is called Orthostatic Hypotension which is where the blood pressure goes down real fast causing the person suffering from it to get dizzy and end up losing their equilibrium.

I agree that this is probably Agoraphobia. I would find someone specialize in that. One of my Human Services Professor specialized in that. She would always have to go to their place because they couldn't leave the house.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just curious. Were you taking meds when you passed out? A lot of medications cause what is called Orthostatic Hypotension which is where the blood pressure goes down real fast causing the person suffering from it to get dizzy and end up losing their equilibrium.

I agree that this is probably Agoraphobia. I would find someone specialize in that. One of my Human Services Professor specialized in that. She would always have to go to their place because they couldn't leave the house.
Just over the counter stuff. From what i can remember, I was taking Muscinex which was new to me, and the docs agreed that there was a possibility that the medicine i was taking messed with me.

thank you for replying

1 - 5 of 5 Posts