Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,200 Posts
I think I've had that question asked before but it wasn't that exact wording. I think it was more like "Why do you want to work here?". My response was something along the lines of "Well, I have to work somewhere. It might as well be here". Which apparently was not a good answer if the outcome of the interview was any indication.

I always thought those types of questions were stupid but I suppose they have their reasons. Maybe to filter out people who have no life goals. I don't really know. I have occasionally suspected they don't ask those questions to everyone but instead save them for people they don't like (since they don't know for sure if they like you or not before they meet you).

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I've had that question asked before but it wasn't that exact wording. I think it was more like "Why do you want to work here?". My response was something along the lines of "Well, I have to work somewhere. It might as well be here". Which apparently was not a good answer if the outcome of the interview was any indication.

I always thought those types of questions were stupid but I suppose they have their reasons. Maybe to filter out people who have no life goals. I don't really know. I have occasionally suspected they don't ask those questions to everyone but instead save them for people they don't like (since they don't know for sure if they like you or not before they meet you).
No this was a regular guy (unemployed and no goals in life)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've never liked those type of questions where they want to get an specific answer from you by asking a very broad vague question. If this happened in a job interview I'd say it's either because they want to see how you react when dealing with awkward/weird questions/situations or simply because that HR personnel is not well trained and just asked a wrong question.

It might help to know in what context this happened to you, was it in an interview, your family maybe, old friends, random ppl on the street?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never liked those type of questions where they want to get an specific answer from you by asking a very broad vague question. If this happened in a job interview I'd say it's either because they want to see how you react when dealing with awkward/weird questions/situations or simply because that HR personnel is not well trained and just asked a wrong question.

It might help to know in what context this happened to you, was it in an interview, your family maybe, old friends, random ppl on the street?
It was a loser with no drive or goals makes a bit of sense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmmm then it that case it could be that he was genuinely asking as to "why" would anyone want to work, meaning he's not working, has no goals hence no stress no burnout no anxiety... and he's wondering why would anyone would freely choose that path. Or he was plainly trying to piss you off

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Whenever I've applied for anything be it the application form or in the interview the question "why do you want to work for us?" always comes up. So then I give them a tailor made response.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I'd be in trouble if someone asked me that, because I hate lying and my honest answer would be "I don't."

I have the feeling that, when I inevitably do need a job in the future, I'm going to be majorly SOL.

Reactions: Barakiel

·
Barbells and kittens
4,340 Posts
Well, I definitely don't want a job. Unfortunately my need for food and shelter keeps me coming back. To be able to sustain my current lifestyle or at least close to it without a job is one of my greatest desires in life actually.

·
Registered
17,927 Posts
He must have given up. In a way I can relate but I actually would quite like a job again. When I'm having a good day I sometimes think maybe I could give it a try again - and I try to think of a few places I could ask, even if it was just voluntary.

It'd be nice to a part of something again and to feel like I was giving back a bit.

·
Super Moderator
9,686 Posts
My mind - because I need $ from paychecks from this god awful zombifying soul-less robotic job to live.

My mouth - because I always have always had a great passion and calling the day I was born and brought into this world with the assembly line process. The assembly line is essential for manufacturing, which is the backbone of providing for this world and society as a whole with physical materials, resources and supplies in order to function, thrive and sustain. This is essential for all of mankind. Knowing I am one of the crucial important billions of units that will be part of this process, it fulfills my purpose of life that I am contributing to mankind as a whole. A responsibility I have been graced with to give back to humanity. Thus I think sitting on a stool, with a smile and enthusiasm to endlessly press a big red button repeatedly every five minutes for 12hrs per day, it is my gift to this world and to myself and my passion of what I want to be doing.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
It depends on the circumstances but I think even in all cases this question could have been asked differently or could have been swapped with a different question all together.

Really, the question on it's own is kind of rhetorical....

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's so dumb! We have to pretend we just want a paycheck and they have to pretend that people would work...anywhere? For free?
Maybe next time I get this question I'll go 90 percent of the way and just quote Serenity. "A powerful need to EAT sometime this month."

·
Registered
9 Posts
He must have given up. In a way I can relate but I actually would quite like a job again. When I'm having a good day I sometimes think maybe I could give it a try again - and I try to think of a few places I could ask, even if it was just voluntary.

It'd be nice to a part of something again and to feel like I was giving back a bit.
Yup, this sounds the case of that person.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
8,286 Posts
I dislike those questions, and they don't really do much for earning desirable employees as those who are more deceptive are likely to earn positions rather than those who are honest. Perhaps for a sales position it would be desirable, but for most jobs it is just pointless.

I've always viewed employment as transactional, I perform a service and am payed for it. If I am unable to perform satisfactory work, then cut my hours or find someone else that does it better. The questions they as at interviews are as though you are committing yourself to a long term relationship, it is the sort of stuff you would think to ask on a date.

Why do you want to be with me? What is it that you like about me, and how do I know you want leave me like my last employee did sobs I don't know if I can take that kind of rejection again! How do I know I can trust you, and you are not just saying you love me because you need money and won't leave me the first chance you get to be with someone else who pays more!

It is just so cheesy, I understand needing to know what qualifications you have, but it just kind of gets funky a lot of the time and only seems to favor those who are good at playing the game, not necessarily those who are good employees.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts