Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got facebook like 2 weeks ago and I only have 71 friends. I look at all my other friends from high school and they all have like 400+ friends and to be honest it makes me feel like such a social fail.

I was just wondering if any of you would like to be my facebook friend. My goal is to atleast get to 100 by the end of October so maby some of you guys could help me not look like such a loser lmao.

Send me a message and ill add you. Ohh and one more thing...It would be nice if you guys didn't write stuff like hey your from S.A.S. on my wall or something like that because thats just not cool.

Thanks A Million.:yes

·
Registered
654 Posts
I wouldn't put by that unless you have a very loose idea of what the term 'friend' implies.

I doubt that anyone alive has more than 30 or so actual friends, at maximum. It would be chornologically and physically impossible to maintain so many relationships and work/study and have time to yourself from time to time.

·
Prince Procrastinator
237 Posts
This is why I don't go on facebook. It's just a useless medium designed to make people hog friends so they look better to their real friends. I don't see the use of it.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is why I don't go on facebook. It's just a useless medium designed to make people hog friends so they look better to their real friends. I don't see the use of it.
I agree its very egotistical and none of us (including social people) have more then 30 friends but when you only have 71 "friends" and all your other true friends have 400+ it kinda comes up in conversation. Like just the other day one of my friends was like dude you only have 71 friends on fb. Whats up with that? its not like i can tell him i have social anxiety.

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
kinda makes me think of something i read about christmas cards many years ago. the most cards you would probably write at any one christmas will be between 100 and 150. no matter how popular you are (this is personally hand written and done without facebook and that to send something to everybody you know). the reason for this is something to do with the size of villages and comunities back in our ancestral days when everyone in the village would know each other rather well. so basically, having upto 100 friends on facebook isnt really that much of a bad thing (if only bothering with real, close friends anyway) as that is how many we are used to having close by in our heart (ish).
i've lost my way with words, but i hope it makes sense :p

ps make friends with people here first before adding people, and you will feel less phoney about it, and will help you a little bit better than adding people willy nilly that you dont know. cant explain well, but it makes sense in my head. hope you do too :)

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
a girl i work with has in excess of 600 "friends" on there. how many you think she actually talks to?

·
Prince Procrastinator
237 Posts
I agree its very egotistical and none of us (including social people) have more then 30 friends but when you only have 71 "friends" and all your other true friends have 400+ it kinda comes up in conversation. Like just the other day one of my friends was like dude you only have 71 friends on fb. Whats up with that? its not like i can tell him i have social anxiety.
I don't think people are going to bring it up again. Haven't you only just started with fb? Plenty of time to add useless friends...

Hell, why don't you say you don't have hundreds of friends on facebook because you got sick of adding people you won't even type 'hi' to and neither will they? Say you just want your real friends on facebook.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ps make friends with people here first before adding people, and you will feel less phoney about it, and will help you a little bit better than adding people willy nilly that you dont know. cant explain well, but it makes sense in my head. hope you do too :)
Ya i understand. It's just kinda of depressing logging on fb and seeing all your true friends with 400+ friends and you only have 71 you know? Oh well, i guess thats who i am in real life so there is no shame in hiding it. Heck, ill probley never see most of my "friends" in real life again since they are off at university.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hell, why don't you say you don't have hundreds of friends on facebook because you got sick of adding people you won't even type 'hi' to and neither will they? Say you just want your real friends on facebook.
Actually this is a very good point and one I will be sure to tell my true friends when they question me again.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I only have 51 people on facebook. Just think about it though, do you -really- think they are friends with 400+ people. I doubt it. Your not a loser. :)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only have 51 people on facebook. Just think about it though, do you -really- think they are friends with 400+ people. I doubt it. Your not a loser. :)
When someone has 400+ friends I dont think they have that many friends I just think they are more social in general. When someone has 71 friends I think they are anti-social.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
The thing I can't stand seeing is the "Thanks for the Add".
That sounds so cheap and stuff, like "Thanks for the good time" :lol

·
Banned
2,265 Posts
I understand what you mean..most people have 200 or over..it annoys me lol!
I only 98

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have only 5 facebook friends. That seems a lot to me, because all 5 of them are just casual acquaintances. and one of them i invited by mistake.

I am trying hard to add more folks on the facebook.
However I will not add anybody just for increasing my friend count on fb.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
Wow..I seriously don't get this whole Facebook thing. Who really cares how many "friends" you have, most of them probably don't give a crap about you unless they actually are your friend, which most of them don't seem to be.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
I don't have facebook so if it makes you feel better you're beating me by a long shot.

But in reality I'm against facebook and all these other "social game" websites. And I resent the fact that real world lexicon like "friends" is being applied to what is essentially a bloated personalized forum. If I could blow up facebook I would because it's an enemy of mine. I don't understand this mania fascination with a website that just offers you: the ability to upload photos, music, posting... what else? Rinse repeat. It baffles me.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
"Only 71", "Only 98". What the? What does that make my 23?~ (and I'm talking 23 friends accumulated over a two year period!)

If you get questioned about it, just tell people you don't really use Facebook too much.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts