Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
pain helps a lot
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i posted in my previous thread, paroxetine and clonazepam are now among the meds that don't help me. the benzos do but tolerance quickly becomes a problem. what combos or other meds may help the fear, anticipatory anxiety, panic, avoidance, etc. and also help with depression? from anyone's experience...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Xanax is the only thing that has and will ever work for me for anxiety. I've tried all the SSRIs, Buspbar, etc...don't work. As for antidepressants, I can't tolerate any of them, they make me too agitated which only worsens the anxiety

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
One can use Klonopin (or any benzo) for 3-4 months and then replace it with an adequate dose of Phenobarbital or Primidone (Desoxyphenobarbital) for 10-14 days, then the tolerance / physical dependence is gone so one could take benzos again. But not many Pdocs will prescribe this old meds nowadays. Personally I like this strategy of benzo withdrawal much more then slowly tapering (it also works for severe hypnotics withdrawal if the Phenobarbital dose is chosen right).

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
Nardil would probably be your best bet. It not only can wipe out a wide range of disorders (OCD, depression, social phobia, GAD, panic disorder) but it also provides a nice prosocial effect that makes conversation and small talk feel more natural.

·
Registered
13 Posts
as i posted in my previous thread, paroxetine and clonazepam are now among the meds that don't help me. the benzos do but tolerance quickly becomes a problem. what combos or other meds may help the fear, anticipatory anxiety, panic, avoidance, etc. and also help with depression? from anyone's experience...
I havent read your previous thread, but have you tried sertraline or venlafaxine? those are two antidepressants used for what you describe.

as for benzos, there is alprazolam worth trying... and also lorazepam. I did very well with lorazepam but am currently trying others (clonazepam/alprazolam) as lorazepam gives me hairloss.

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
what dose clonazepam, about 6 mg may be needed for a difficult social occasion

you often get a tollerance of the sedation but the med still helps, avoid heat spoiled, time expired and inactive fake pills, especially if bought on the net

·
pain helps a lot
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
went to drs yesterday, and spoke more than i ever have before in there. i knew i needed to be honest instead of the usual "everything is great, just refill the current meds, thanks, bye" which is the easiest thing for me.
so i actually talked to her(and one of her students....yay, not) and told her i'd like to try something new. i'm now trying buspirone (hopefully not just a sugar pill for me). weaning off paxil, fun brain zaps to come!!!! and 1mg klonopin to help me sleep at night.
i go back in 3 months to see how it's working and if not, she said she'd switch me to dioxepin?sp.
anyway, we'll see how this all works. luckily, i get to take tramadol for occasional migraines and that stuff makes me feel like a queen. so if i need a boost, that's where i'm going.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Nardil would probably be your best bet. It not only can wipe out a wide range of disorders (OCD, depression, social phobia, GAD, panic disorder) but it also provides a nice prosocial effect that makes conversation and small talk feel more natural.
I don't recall reading about you ever trying Nardil. Did you? From the way you state things it sounds like you tried it.

If you tried it, why did you stop taking it when your description sounds so glowingly positive? And if you've never tried it, why not? And have you ever tried Parnate so that you can compare/contrast it with Nardil for our benefit? Thanks.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
I don't recall reading about you ever trying Nardil. Did you? From the way you state things it sounds like you tried it.

If you tried it, why did you stop taking it when your description sounds so glowingly positive? And if you've never tried it, why not? And have you ever tried Parnate so that you can compare/contrast it with Nardil for our benefit? Thanks.
I was on it for two months, but despite its positives there was still no way I'd be able to handle a job or going to college on just Nardil alone. For one, it doesn't provide the powerful surge of confidence I'd need to get over persistent avoidance, and to be honest I didn't even find it helped much for social anxiety period (though it completely eliminated hypochondriasis, general anxiety, and OCD tendencies). I attribute this to my atypical form of SA rather than the medication's lack of ability to treat more common types of SAD. I haven't tried any other MAOIs, but since Adderall has been a godsend for me then perhaps I would've benefited a tad more from Parnate than Nardil.

·
Registered
544 Posts
There are many ways to fight anxiety without resorting to benzodiazepines, I'm proof of that. I've only ever use valium once while I was in hospital, all my years of treatment has been with CBT and anti-depressants and I will openly admit I've come a long way. It's about finding the balance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts