Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit of a vague thread but I was just wondering if anyone can relate... I feel almost 'unworthy' of a diagnosis (I have GAD and SAD). I know I have them but I always feel bad about it, like I shouldn't make a big deal, and that there are lots of people worse off etc. I find that I never tell people about my anxiety - not because I am ashamed of it, but because I don't want to look like an attention seeker. I can't even say the word 'anxiety' out loud - I always substitute another word like 'stress'. Sometimes I really want people to know about it so they understand, but I can't bring it up. Usually the only way people find out is when I have a panic attack in front of them. I just wish people could mind-read or would just directly ask me about it. I'm just rambling here, but does anyone else feel this way? Is it a good way to feel, or silly?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't think you are unworthy of a diagnosis. Having panic attacks is fairly serious and worthy of a diagnosis - but take that with a grain of salt, since I am not a doctor.

Why do you feel other people should know about you having GAD and SAD? Do you think it would improve relations with other people? I see the possibility it could harm relations with other people, since some people who lack empathy might hold some sort of irrational prejudice against you. Although, of course, it can reveal itself in panic attacks and you might want some people to know to put you at ease. However, if you could help it, I would actually recommend not revealing your conditions, but that is just my personal viewpoint.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you feel other people should know about you having GAD and SAD? Do you think it would improve relations with other people? I see the possibility it could harm relations with other people, since some people who lack empathy might hold some sort of irrational prejudice against you. Although, of course, it can reveal itself in panic attacks and you might want some people to know to put you at ease. However, if you could help it, I would actually recommend not revealing your conditions, but that is just my personal viewpoint.
It's not that I think people should know about my anxiety, it's more just that I feel I should be able to talk about it if I need/want to. Also, in all honesty if someone doesn't want to take me as I am (anxiety and all), then I don't really care too much about their opinions anyway.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I feel the same way sometimes. Even by comparison to some others on this forum my anxiety doesn't seem that bad. But as my therapist reminds me, if it's making me unhappy, I have the right to see a therapist to fix my condition as quickly as possible. We all have a right to feel happy. Never forget that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts