Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it hard to open up to my family for some reason, even though we are very close and they always love and support me. I want to talk to a therapist about my anxiety so I can at least overcome it a little bit.

But what happens is-
When I'm in a social situation and I experience any degree of an anxiety attack, this is when I'm thinking: "I need to tell my mom about this, I'm not okay. I need help." but I can't bc the time is just inappropriate.
however when there's a free moment to talk to my mom and tell her about this, I'm relaxed and because I'm not experiencing the anxiety at the time, I don't tell her and I just keep it inside.

It's like, a vicious cycle. I need to just talk to her when there's an opportunity whether I want to or not but it's difficult. :l Any help is appreciated.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Write it down, sent her an Mail or facebook message. Give her the exact explanation you gave her for why you are writing instead of talking it through. I'm sure she'll understand and approach you herself with that if she is a nice caring mother.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
It's a hard thing to talk about, especially since the anxiety usually involves communicating. What helped me was to focus on the physical symptoms and just slip it into the conversation. I'm not sure if that'll help but I know I find it easier to explain physical problems rather than emotional ones. I said something along the lines of "I've been feeling really ill everyday. I think it's from nerves, but I don't think it's normal to be that sick from stress everyday". Stress the severity of your anxiety attacks... I agree writing it down could help too. I think you should just focus on taking that one step to get it off your chest and then you've kind of broken the ice. And I think it's great that you want to get help. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.