Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering: I have been given the diagnosis ADHD by some doctors and not by others, and myself I am not quite sure. When I look at the criteria for social anxiety -- and at what people discuss here -- I can very much indentify with it. I also know that my concentration suffers when I am in social anxiety situations.

Can symptoms of ADHD really be symptoms of social anxiety? I know that a lot of ADHDer develop social anxiety, but maybe a lot of so called ADHDers are actually social phobists. I did the Liebowitz test and scored 128! And when I take tranqulizers, I am able to concentrate better...

Anyone else have opinions on this.. or know of scientific discussion, literature and/or studies?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been doing some research on my own. I've discovered that SA, depression, and ADHD might all be related to each other.
Doctors used to view ADHD as a stand-alone disorder. But recent evidence suggests that about half of all individuals who have ADHD also suffer from depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), a learning disorder, or some other emotional or neurological problem.
Still others with attention deficit disorder show forms of antisocial behavior and may actually have what is called oppositional defiant disorder. These individuals can be obstinate, aggressive, verbally hostile and disobedient. A significant number of children with ADHD also may develop conduct disorder. They may lie, steal, skip school or become physically aggressive. A careful initial evaluation can help tease out what is ADHD and what may be one of these other personality or childhood disorders, and develop appropriate treatments for each.
In contrast, others with attention deficit disorder experience extreme anxiety. They often worry unnecessarily or feel undue stress. These individuals also are predisposed to depression and low self-esteem, which can have serious effects on the quality of their day-to-day lives and dealings with others. Teens with ADHD may be prone to alcohol and drug use and abuse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts