Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
one stop away
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really dreading doing this. I know it's completely illogical--I am usually fine when I talk on the phone. But I have to call and schedule an appointment with my pediatrician, which is embarrassing because I'll be the only person in the waiting room over 18 for sure. It shouldn't matter so much, I'm only going there to get a shot and a prescription and maybe a skin test (going abroad next fall, so I have to have all my stuff in line medically). I was supposed to do this Monday but now its Wednesday and I haven't done it. I am so frustrated with myself. This should be EASY! It's not like I'm going in having to impress these people. I can't make myself do it. Does anyone else have this problem? I feel like I'm crazy for not being able to do this. Can someone tell me how to deal with it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wish I could help. I am the same way, sometimes I cry before I call, and feel better, sad I know. I am always calling because I have two special needs kids, so always making appointments.

I wish I could help more, sorry :(

·
:No Worries:
182 Posts
First of all why are you still going to a pediatrician? If it bothers that much you are well old enough to see a normal physician. As far as the phone call anxiety I have the same problem, and when I think I will be unprepared for the conversation I get really worked up. Hence why I take so many notes before a call having all my personal information (even my name) written down. I always go blank when confronted with questions. As far as dealing with it I have no found a good method yet, I will put off many calls for days until I am almost forced into making them. Hopefully someone else will have some insight on how to handle it. But in any event if your getting nervous about attending this doctor being so old I would defaintly switch doctors.

·
Registered
137 Posts
First of all why are you still going to a pediatrician? If it bothers that much you are well old enough to see a normal physician. As far as the phone call anxiety I have the same problem, and when I think I will be unprepared for the conversation I get really worked up. Hence why I take so many notes before a call having all my personal information (even my name) written down. I always go blank when confronted with questions. As far as dealing with it I have no found a good method yet, I will put off many calls for days until I am almost forced into making them. Hopefully someone else will have some insight on how to handle it. But in any event if your getting nervous about attending this doctor being so old I would defaintly switch doctors.
I thought I was the only one that wrote my name down before calling (or my kids).

I too write EVERYTHING and ANYTHING that could/might be asked of me.

·
Banned
192 Posts
Just make the appointment. This is your health we are talking about. The operator on the other end will not give a damn at all about how you sound or what you say. All she wants is to get the appointment. They make and take hundreds of calls. If you are going to study abroad, then you certainly should get over the fear of making phone calls especially since you're this anxious about making a call for a doctor's appointment.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I usually go over what I think the conversation will be like in my head and that helps. And sometimes I write it down if it will be complicated. Think of it this way, these people talk on the phone so often and to so many different people that they probably hate it when the phone rings and just want you off the phone anyway. Ok so that's how I felt when I was a receptionist at a law firm LOL

·
Banned
3 Posts
I'm the same way. Even if I've called to schedule doctors appointments many times, it is still hard to make myself call them. I'm fine once I actually do it and get the first words out, but the build up in my head is horrendous. I don't really have any advice, since i've been putting off making a doctors appointment of my own. I just have to dial the number, push call and force myself.

·
one stop away
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I'm going to call tomorrow morning. I'm not usually anxious over phone calls--normally I am very confident over the phone. My parents insist I go see my pediatrician instead of switching to another doctor right now because he's known me my whole life and can get the tests and shots done without a lot of hassle. Since my parents pay my health insurance I pretty much have to go. I'm talking to my therapist tomorrow morning via phone before I call, and I think afterwards I'll be more confident about doing this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Next time you try to make a call, try drinking a tall glass of water, breathing deeply, and telling yourself as calmly as you can: "I can do this easily! It's just a phone call. I'll call, say whatever I have to say, and be done with it."

I've had your problem before. I don't make phone calls often, so when I do, it's a rare thing. And I get nervous.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Like with so many things on this forum, I thought I was the only one who had a problem with this. It's especially bad when they don't have the appointment time I want or if there's a problem. I just hang up so I don't cry.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
This is maladaptive and unhealthy and I wouldn't suggest it unless you NEED to make a call, but I sometimes use a special phone voice that's more grown-up, powerful, and commanding than my regular voice.

·
:No Worries:
182 Posts
Seriously, I use a special phone voice also! I notice I am more business like and serious, trying to project more self confidence and assertiveness. I really never noticed I did that until you mentioned it. :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I will phone eventually but it took me 4 months to get round to phoning my dentist to make an appointment. It depends how much I need to do it. Like you I'm fine on the phone but just can't push myself into making the call.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts