Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far are you on your quest to read all of Stephen King's works ?

Its been a while since I've spotted a new stephen kin at my local library, and then WHAM ! there it was THE TALISMAN

I've read online reviews that this was one of his best stories... and so far, I would have to agree !

I was so stoked when I saw this in the library? ( nerdy ?... yes ):agree

Anyways what I've read so far are:

The Dark Half ( my first, it was my brother's )
The Dark Tower parts 1 2 & 3
Desperation
Cell
The girl that loved tom gordon
Insomnia
Dreamcatcher
Carrie
The Shining
Needful Things

I believe stephen king writes the most imaginative fiction hands down !

·
Registered
984 Posts
The talisman is my favorite King book hands down. I've read everything he's written up until the book cell, I have no interest in anything else he's writing after that unless it's a part 3 to the talisman to tie up all the loose ends he left in the dark tower series.

Books I would recommend:

Tommyknockers
Different seasons
mysery
Pet semetary

The dark tower gets really dissapointing after book 4 and is hard to understand without reading every other single book King has written. So honestly just read all his books chronologically as they make more sense that way, it's neat how he ties in all his stories together and the good stuff is in his early work and short story collections. You'll understand the dark tower better and realise what an awesome concept King had before he got ran over and turned into a bad writer.

·
Lurking
298 Posts
'Salem's Lot
Bag of Bones
Carrie
Christine
Cujo
Cycle of the Werewolf
Dark Tower 1, 2, 3, 4 (presently reading #5)
Dead Zone,
Dolores Claiborne
Dreamcatcher
Eyes of the Dragon
Firestarter
Gerald's Game
Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Insomnia
IT
Misery
Needful Things
Pet Sematary
Rose Madder
Shining
I read about half of The Stand, the movie ruined it for me

and a bunch of short stories

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
The Shining
The Tommyknockers
Carrie
Christine
Misery
The Dead Zone
Cell
The Green Mile
Firestarter
Cujo
Needful Things

I got about 1/4 through IT and quit. I should try it again.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I read a lot of Stephen King in my youth. I remember my library wouldn't let me get his books out until I was about 12/13, so I had to get them out on my mother's ticket before then.

I've read:
The Green Mile
Carrie
Salem's Lot
The Shining
The Stand (the complete and uncut edition - I spent half my childhood reading this)
The Dead Zone
Firestarter
Christine
It
Misery
Needful Things
Dolores Claiborne
Gerald's Game
Insomnia (this was the most disappointing one I've read all the way through)
Rose Madder
Desperation
Dreamcatcher (well, about a quarter of it before I gave up)
Different Seasons (Apt Pupil, The Body, Shawshank Redemption, Breathing Method)
Thinner
Pet Sematary
The Running Man

Also non-fiction - Danse Macabre and On Writing

I remember hoping every week that The Mist, Rage, and Cujo would show up in the library but they never did. I still haven't read them but I'd like to.

Wow, that's a longer list than I thought it would be. I read so much as a child. What happened to me.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I got about 1/4 through IT and quit. I should try it again.
I honestly wouldn't unless you plan on sloughing thru the entire dark tower series and want to make sense of the connections. I won't give away any spoilers but IT has a really messed up sequence in it. King was cruising on cocaine and booze when he wrote IT and it shows, he says he dosen't even remember writing most of IT.

As much as I despise a lot of Kings work i'm still a fan. His writings as Richard Bachman, stuff that has nothing to do with the supernatural is much better.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I honestly wouldn't unless you plan on sloughing thru the entire dark tower series and want to make sense of the connections. I won't give away any spoilers but IT has a really messed up sequence in it. King was cruising on cocaine and booze when he wrote it and it shows, he says he dosen't even remember writing most of it.

As much as I despise a lot of Kings work i'm still a fan. His writings as Richard Bachman, stuff that has nothing to do with the supernatural is much better.
haha, that explains that inexplicable weird bit which I won't give away any spoilers on either.

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
...seriously? :sus

I only noticed it got really strange towards the end, but eh, I was willing to accept that it had to be something complex that I just couldn't comprehend at the time (its been ages since I made it all the way through, not enough time/patience).

Think I need to re-read IT.
Yeah a lot of King books where written under the influence (misery, the tommy knockers, the shining) I recommend his autobiography/writing memoir "on writing" if you want to read more about his drug problems.

I think he was better writer at the start of his addiction but it got worse as he got deeper into it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Heh I never knew he had a drug problem, shows how little I know about him. Thanks to my Dad's avid love of horror books there are alot of good novels at my disposal (including King). But one of the criticisms of his work is that the same sort of themes/plot devices are recycled...correct me if I'm wrong. I admit that I know most of his work through the film adaptations and haven't really sat down and read an entire novel.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Nightshift (My favorite!)
The Dark Half
Nightmares & Dreamscapes
Needful Things
Cujo
On Writing
Cell
The Mist(I know it was also part of a collection)

Not sure if I've missed any.

King has some good short storys, especially in the Nightshift collection. For novels, I like Dean Koontz and Bentley Little better. I really like Clive Barker as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I read tons of his books during high school so that I could avoid talking to people. One of my teachers would always tease me about it; something relating to how demonic I was. Hilarity.

• Insomnia
• The Tommyknockers
• Desperation
• The Dead Zone
• The Dark Half
• Misery
• Cell
• The Stand
• Rose Madder
• Pet Sematary
• Thinner
• IT
• The Shining
• The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
• The Long Walk
• The Regulators
• Needful Things
• Gerald's Game
• The Eyes of the Dragon
• Salem's Lot
• Roadwork
• The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger
• The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three
• The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands
• The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass
• The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla

·
Potato
1,002 Posts
I'm not gonna list all King books I have read because that would be long and pointless, but I do own over 50 of his books! (some doubles) and most are hardback first editions. I keep them in a glass case. That's how much I cherish them.

Took me a loong time to read the entire DT series, but I loved it. Right now I'm reading Insomnia, and not digging it too much. Just kind of too "out there" for me I guess so far. King is the only author I've read since I was 13 years old. Maybe time to branch out?

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not gonna list all King books I have read because that would be long and pointless, but I do own over 50 of his books! (some doubles) and most are hardback first editions. I keep them in a glass case. That's how much I cherish them.

Took me a loong time to read the entire DT series, but I loved it. Right now I'm reading Insomnia, and not digging it too much. Just kind of too "out there" for me I guess so far. King is the only author I've read since I was 13 years old. Maybe time to branch out?
BRAVO dude :D.

man as soon as I start making my own money, i'm gonna start collecting those books !

Somehow Steven King's character's are the one's I can most align myself with.
Even makes me wonder at times, if Mr. King is an SA'er as well ?

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I think I've read all of King's books except for the Dark Tower series. Don't like those, for some reason. My favourites are The Stand, Rose Madder and IT, if I had to choose just a few.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts