Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just had a panic attack. Very scary. I've had them before, but even though I told myself to relax and that I wasn't going to go through this ****, it happened. I was at home lying in bed, not nervous or upset or depressed about anything, and it just happened anyway. Pisses me off. I was so scared I called 911, and they talked me through it. I hate that I did that. Anyway, I'm fine now but I feel shaky. My vitals were fine. I'm glad I was at home, and my daughter was home too. I couldn't muster up the strength to call to her, so I went out to the bedroom, and even though she was with me, I almost immediately called 911. Never called 911 before. I'm so embarrassed. The EMT's were nice and cute. I just didn't want them to think I was a weirdo freak basket case psycho woman.

Have you had panic attacks? How do you deal with them?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I wouldnt worry about having called them. I know for a fact they want you to call them. I had a severe panic attack in the doctors waiting room and when I got in their I was so convinced I had heart disease and I had a major panic attack and she talked me calm with a second hand watch.
My husband has had panic attacks in the middle of the night and we all went in, he thought he was having a heart attack, they monitored him for couple of hours and let him go home. They prefer you to do this rather than have some thing serious go on.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I hate those damn things, I don't get them very often anymore. The only thing that helps me when I have one is slowly breathing in and out while counting to 5, after a few minutes it helps to calm me down.

There are other methods but the slow breathing is the only one that seems to help me.

·
Comfortably Numb
232 Posts
That is what they are there for,to help people who are in trouble;don't be embarrassed.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all, nice to be able to vent and get assurance.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I've only had one significant panic attack, it was on christmas eve at a party. I had to sneak outside, sit in the driveway and wait until it passed.

Don't feel bad, I really doubt you're the first panic attack they've seen and likely not the last.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I had a bad anxiety attack a while back.....I had pain in my chest, and felt like I couldn't breathe. My guy wanted to call the paramedics, but I don't have insurance so I was too worried about what it would cost. If not for that, I would definitely have liked to have someone take a look at me because I was really freaked out. Don't feel embarrassed at all about calling them. That's what they're there for.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i called 999 before as i thought i was having a really bad asthma attack
the came and tryed to get me to breathe right but it got worse they said it is a panic attack i was so embarrassed
but am glad they came becuse it could have been something worse

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a bad anxiety attack a while back.....I had pain in my chest, and felt like I couldn't breathe. My guy wanted to call the paramedics, but I don't have insurance so I was too worried about what it would cost. If not for that, I would definitely have liked to have someone take a look at me because I was really freaked out. Don't feel embarrassed at all about calling them. That's what they're there for.
The visit was free, at least where I live. The 911 lady told me that before I oked her sending someone. Honestly, if it cost $, I would not have had them come.

·
That Quiet Girl
66 Posts
I almost called 911 when I had my first panic attack. Though apparantly I'd rather risk death than call for help, lol, so I went on the internet and Googled all my symptoms. A panic attack website helped to guide me through it. Though what you did was a good choice too. I sure couldn't have done it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts