Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone happen to live in Calgary as well? I'm hoping to meet some people in the area that can understand and relate to what I am going through.

I was just looking for some support, and I happened to find these forums online. And seeing that others go through what I am going through is really helpful so far.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
we got an edmonton group. its close, but maybe not closse enough eh

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just posting here to affirm that I am another Calgary person. Maybe if there's a couple people, a third will pop in and so on and we can get something started

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe we should try a meetup sometime, even though I am not too sure how that would go.

·
Amazing
363 Posts
I'm in Calgary too. I think doing a meet-up would be great.

·
Amazing
363 Posts
Any of you guys go to the U of C? Maybe we could do a lunch or something once in a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in Calgary. I'd be open to the idea of meeting with other people, but seems like you guys are all younger than me. I'm 30 so I'm not sure if you guys would want to be around an old man like me.

·
Lucas
111 Posts
Hey I'm from Calgary as well. A past counselor actually told me there is a social anxiety group that meets once a month already here in Calgary. Message me if you want to know more about that. I have never been involved in that group but I think it's an older group of people.

But I noticed a lot of you guys here are younger like myself so I'm thinking we could maybe start a separate group and try and meet-up and do some comfortable activities such as going to the movies, etc. and maybe if we enjoy ourselves we can do something more challenging in the future?

Let me know if interested. I wanna set this up because otherwise ya'll will forget about this and nothing will end up happening! :p

·
Lucas
111 Posts
So I'm assuming Ro13ert is in, Little Willow is in, saillias is in, 5tk in?

Thats 5 people confirmed, and then we have bk and apache who are also in Calgary but haven't said yet if they would be comfortable with a meet-up.

Tell me what you guys think of the movie idea, and maybe we can give it a try.

·
Amazing
363 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me! If I can find time in my crazy schedule!! I think it would be great to do a meetup!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really would like to do a meetup. And yep, I actually go to the University too!

This feels, well, I don't know how to explain, but kind of like a feeling of relief or something, because it makes me feel as though I am not alone in this at all. And that there are others that struggle with what I face and can understand and relate.

·
Registered
418 Posts
So I'm assuming Ro13ert is in, Little Willow is in, saillias is in, 5tk in?

Thats 5 people confirmed, and then we have bk and apache who are also in Calgary but haven't said yet if they would be comfortable with a meet-up.

Tell me what you guys think of the movie idea, and maybe we can give it a try.
Also Estelle85.

A movie is fine. We should do something else too IMO.

Any of you guys go to the U of C? Maybe we could do a lunch or something once in a while.
Sure, I have no class MWF 12:50-1:50. When are you free? How about you 5tk, would you be in?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm interested in a meet-up. Unfortunately I'm not at the university so nothing during the week during business hours would really work for me unless it is lunch downtown.

·
Lucas
111 Posts
Also Estelle85.

A movie is fine. We should do something else too IMO.

Sure, I have no class MWF 12:50-1:50. When are you free? How about you 5tk, would you be in?
What theater would be the closest for everyone? I live in the NW in Hawkwood but I'd be willing to go on the train to pretty much anywhere in the city....

I dunno how bad everyones SA is here so I don't want the first meet-up to be too intimidating for anyone here but I dunno. What else did you have in mind? Maybe bowling or something?

I'll put in bold what I think might be good movies...

Currently in theaters:

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Couples Retreat
Fame
Informant!, The
Inglourious Basterds
Invention of Lying, The
Love Happens
Metropolitan Opera: Tosca (Puccini)
Surrogates
Toy Story & Toy Story 2
Trailer Park Boys Countdown To Liquor Day
Whip It
Zombieland

Coming Soon

OCTOBER 16th:

OCTOBER 23rd:

OCTOBER 30th:

·
Amazing
363 Posts
So, for those who go to the U of C...
I was thinking that (since it was just Mental Health Awareness Week) I wanted to do something to promote awareness about SA and other related issues. Nobody I have ever met has even heard of SA, and I felt like maybe doing a lunch meeting (not like therapy, but just a place where we could be ourselves) would be relaxing and good for us. I know that just having people understand makes me feel so much better.
Anyone up to giving this a try? Even just putting up some posters? I know a psych prof who could maybe help us out. Message me if you're interested!!!

1 - 20 of 239 Posts