Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned from Geert that caffeine of any kind is not good! I tried ridding my system of it (but I only drank maybe one or two tea's a day) and I have been finding it does make a difference with the SA!! Try it!:D

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
i was somewhat addicted to caffeine for a while. since i was 16 i would need a coffee every morning and if i missed it i would get a horrible, horrible headache that i could feel in my face and forehead. last year i got into the habit of every day having 1-3 coffees, 1-2 energy drinks, and 1-2 caffeine pills (100mg each, but i barely felt them). sometimes more than just two of either drinks if i could get access to the other. i lovvve it. i'd get the xtra-large from tim horton's, mmm. my most common energy drink is beaver buzz, the kind i would get is 122mg of caffeine, 0 calories and $1.99 (cheapest). there was one that was 188mg caffeine which i got occasionally but i preferred to avoid all that sugar. ooh probably the most intense energy drink is redline, which is a very small bottle and has 320mg of caffeine. its pretty rare to find, and it has a very long list of warnings to the side, some of which i apply to (psychiatric conditions, medication, psychiatric medication, small body sizes).. but the longer the warnings, the best it is, haha.

i think eventually i was consuming up to 300-500mg of caffeine every day. since it was a normal habit and i my tolerance was raised i'd barely even feel the caffeine. i had to get an ECG for a new med and it turned out i have arrhythmia from the excessive caffeine intake.. i knew anyway that my heart beat was abnormal so i didn't really care too much honestly, but my family doctor said in a very serious tone "you MUST cut down on the caffeine. only ONE coffee, and one tea, and the rest decaf. promise???", so i promised her i would.

cutting down the caffeine was actually a really horrible experience. crazy how much my body was dependent on it. for at least 3 days i was incredibly lethargic, i had trouble keeping my eyes open, my mind was in a complete fog and i could barely think and got almost nothing done at school (and i usually have all those problems, just much worse). it was very bad, felt like such crap. 50x worse than quitting marijuana, for sure.

anyway since i'm on adderall daily now and it is a stimulant it's best i don't have too much caffeine. now i just have 1-2 coffees and occasional energy drinks. having a cup of my favourite coffee or drink is still like "**** YES, amazing" and it feels fine for a few hours and i'm good, but sometimes if i drink a lot and my mood and anxiety is already bad then it ends up being a lot worse later in the day.. a bit agitated, frustrated, anxiety.. just unpleasant.
from the adderall my heart rate is still abnormal, it's obvious if i just feel my pulse with my hand. it will really easily go faster than a should, the occaisonal beat would be stronger than what is normal or there will be and extra that is off-beat. sometimes i can feel it in my chest/heart without even touching it for long periods of time. meh. :/

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
cutting down the caffeine was actually a really horrible experience. crazy how much my body was dependent on it. for at least 3 days i was incredibly lethargic, i had trouble keeping my eyes open, my mind was in a complete fog and i could barely think and got almost nothing done at school (and i usually have all those problems, just much worse).
yeah, i recently cut out all caffeine, and had that experience also.

i feel much better without it. less tense, less anxious, and more energetic.

i think it's a great thing to have in an emergency though, like if you really need to wake up and are tired - i have caffeine gum and pills for that.

caffeine is not good if you have anxiety. even after the initial jolt wears off, it's still in your system, keeping you overstimulated.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I found out this peace of information awhile back, and stopped drinking Arizona Green Tea which has caffeine. I did notice a change in my anxiety, and anyone with anxiety should really try to eliminate their caffiene intake.

·
Registered
632 Posts
i need to drink tea at least twice a day if not i'll felt something is missing.i know caffeine is not good but i'm addicted to it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I stopped drinking tea and coffee for a while and reduced my sugar intake, and it made a big difference..........however I'm back on the stuff now!
I think any kind of stimulant should be reduced if not avoided if you have SA, basically because we are almost always on 'flight or fight' response....and if you think about it, physiologically, that's what caffeine does to us.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I drink about 6 cups of tea a day (without sugar) and I don't think it increases anxiety in me. I really notice that i'm more anxious after drinking coffee though, so I usually stick to decaf.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,711 Posts
I got to have my energy drink or else Ill start overeating and I mean a whole lot.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Tea is not bad for you at all and I honestly don't think anyone who likes tea should stop drinking it because of fear of caffeine. Tea is relatively low in caffeine anyway, compared to coffee and tea is more relaxing than coffee because it also contains L-theanine. And if you really like your tea but don't want the caffeine, steeping it twice (Once to get rid of most of the caffeine and once to drink) will "decaffeinate" it. Tea is good for you. Especially green tea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts