Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Just me.
63 Posts
Not a fan of trying on clothes. I'm a little chubby and trying on clothes just reminds me of that.

:mum

·
Registered
811 Posts
girl's pants

I'm generally fine and I buy a lot of clothes (or rather my mom does) and am a bit of a clotheshorse. On Monday though I had a bit of an awkward situation. I wear skinny jeans and have wanted a yellow pair but they never have them at the store I go to, but they had one's for girls. I told my mom about this and told her about a kid I had seen wearing what I think were those same pants on Saturday. I kind of wanted them but since they were girls pants I didn't want to buy them. So I leave to go look in other stores while my mom continues to look at stuff there. I come back and she says she had talked to the girl working there (I'm not sure which because there were two but they were both really hot) and she had said her boyfriend wears them. I was annoyed but this allowed me the courage to actually try the pants on. We got a 5 and 7 because I didn't know what size would fit then I had to ask one of the girls to open a changing room for me. She knew I was trying on girls pants and it was slightly embarrassing. I ended up buying them and a purple pair, size 7 (5 was way to tight!), which was also slightly embarrassing.
The yellow pants have a gemstone in the button.:rofl

·
Registered
529 Posts
I usually buy shirts & pants online which can lead to wasted money on stuff that doesn't fit right. But the feeling of being judged & on display is tough picking out & trying on clothes in public. I can't even go into little mall type clothes stores or smaller places like that . The sales people start looking as you approach the entrance & swoop in like a hawk or charging bull & hover around like a vulture.(The bums at the quickmarts here do the same but to make you pay them to go away.) They just want to help make a sale but it makes me really nervous being watched constantly. It's extremely distracting.

Whenever possible going to a store I go when it's most empty and use self check-out. Debit card at gas pump so don't have to enter, etc.

·
SAS Member
31,297 Posts
I don't like buying clothes mainly because I don't know how to make an outfit. I see those makeover shows and I wish I could have one of those people come with me and pick out all kinds of stuff. For trying on clothes I would say to remember that the store clerks want your business so the more clothes you try on the closer you will be to buying them.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Some changing rooms are terrible.
Really short curtains - so all your legs are exposed
Too short doors - so you can see people WHILE you are in the naked!
Curtains that dont reach across - Gaps!
Saloon sytle doors with a gap in the middle??? Gah

Changing rooms with no mirrors which force you out so everyone can see how hidious said outfit looks before you can.

·
Loser
207 Posts
Woah I have horror memories about buying clothes. When I was a kid my mom used to pick up come clothes and ran through the whole store after me and shoutet "HEY THIS LOOKS GOOD WANNA TRY IT???" :mum .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whenever possible going to a store I go when it's most empty and use self check-out. Debit card at gas pump so don't have to enter, etc.
It's the opposite for me; I hate going when the store is empty because I feel the employees are going to pay even more attention to me and what I'm doing. I prefer going when the store is busy because I feel more blended in and unnoticeable.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've never really had a problem buying clothes. You know why? I've gone to the mall plenty of times and I've seen what other women buy in stores like Charlotte Russe and judging by what's "popular" nowadays, I think it's safe to stick to the basics like jeans and a baby tee or a tank top. Remember, everyone has different tastes. It doesn't mean they're judging you. Most people don't even notice that you're there. They're too busy with their own shopping.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
It's the opposite for me; I hate going when the store is empty because I feel the employees are going to pay even more attention to me and what I'm doing. I prefer going when the store is busy because I feel more blended in and unnoticeable.
Ditto. I really enjoyed going shopping on Black Friday simply because they were so many people that no one watched me at all. I don't think I've been shopping since then.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Woah I have horror memories about buying clothes. When I was a kid my mom used to pick up come clothes and ran through the whole store after me and shoutet "HEY THIS LOOKS GOOD WANNA TRY IT???" :mum .
lol haha reminds me of my mom when I was a kid.

I hate the process of clothes shopping. I just find it so stressful driving to the mall, finding a spot, fighting the mobs and being around all those people. It's also difficult to find anything that fits me, nothing ever seems to fit right.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bad, BAD memories about my Mum and shopping. It seemed the whole time she looked at me in disgust no matter what I tried on. She HATED to take me shopping and on each trip she said more than once "I'm NEVER shopping with you again." It was a total nightmare for me. I never shop now. I go to Free clothing give-aways, on-line and Thrift stores. I just can't deal with retail stores, especially MALLS. :afr

:yes I really like getting clothes for free. Hey, SOMEONE paid for them in the first place so I feel like I'm getting a real bargain. IF they don't fit or I change my mind I just pass them on to others as give aways. I have more clothes now than I've ever had in my life. :yes No one is judging you either at the give-aways. We are all there for the same reason.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It is a catch 22 on the going when empty or full.
I find empty the lesser of two evils in this particular situation.

Empty you could be the main focus but full seems to lead to customers in the store & especially checkout crowding, bumping with their cart
to the back of the leg, hovering over you & rushing you, etc. Heck as an example the Black Friday thing. Every year people get trampled to death across the US so they can save $20 at walmart.

on a similar note:
I'd been watching the meetup site in my area for a few years waiting for some meetups, but now there finally are some I won't go because the groups are so small & I want a large group to blend initially. Although once I know people I prefer a small group. And I wanted to go to Super Chevy last weekend but the parking is confusing & unorganized in grass with ditches and stuff. I don't want to get stuck, look like some fool and in this case the big crowd of people makes me nervous. Like finding a seat in bleachers wading across strangers faces with your *** to sit down.

It seems to be always something no matter what when you've got SA.:roll

I'm always on edge around people until they show truly to have character.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.