Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how do know what books you have buy for your classes? Is there a list in the college bookstore that tells you what book to buy for a certain class? Also, do you need a book for a public speaking class? Thanks!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I usually wait till after the first day of class, the prof will tell you on the syllabus what books you need if you need any. Some bookstore will have a sign under the books or something about which classes require it or something. If the bookstore has a website it might have a system that gives you the info based on the classes u enrolled in.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Yes, usually there's a list at your college bookstore. Never buy your books new. Odds are your college bookstore sells used books or you can buy them off the web. Try amazon or halfpricebooks.com...Then, as soon as your course is finished, sell them back to your college bookstore. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
there is a bookstore on campus, I go a couple days before and hand my class schedule to one of the helpers hanging around and they find what I need.

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
If your school's bookstore has a website, you should be able to look up your books. That's how I always got my book lists. I only stepped into my school's bookstore a handful of times in three years. Total rip off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Definitely wait till your first day of class AKA syllabus day and the professor will go over the books on that. Sometimes some of the books are optional so you don't want to waste your money buying books you don't really need. I know that I was always glad to wait to get books until the first day because we also didn't know if the textbooks would be available at the book store on campus or at this bookstore a couple streets over near campus that sold textbooks at reduced prices. A lot of my professors over the years would order their books at the textbook store off campus because they knew it could save us a couple bucks which we all appreciated! And definitely buy as many used books as you can...not only will you save a lot of money, but a lot of times previous students highlighted important lines/points and/or wrote notes on the pages through their readings and it can help you if you ever need to skim on a reading :)

Oh and when you actually go looking for your books look for the subject first such as "Economics" then look for the course number such as "300" and then look for the section number such as "8" or your professor's name. If you get stuck...there are usually a lot of people there to help you find them :)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
your lucky, so far I have to some extent needed all books listed for the classes, even if its just to satisfy a teachers "participation" requirements during a class reading so it looks like I actually pay attention.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
My school actually has a page online that'll tell you what books you need based on what classes you say you're taking (they even tell you the ones that are optional). It's really nice and if you don't use that, then they have a specific booth at the bookstore where they can print off your book list. You can usually find all the books you need without all that help though. They order the books by class names and sections so all you have to do is look at the signs (although that can get annoying and you might miss a book).

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
Sometimes there are pages on the school's bookstore website that tell you. I usually wait until the first day, the teachers give you a website with all required books and materials.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah, the required books may be posted on the campus bookstore website. But, I'd advise you to wait until the first day of classes at least. So far I have probably wasted a couple hundred of bucks on books that were "required" for class but only about 10 pages were read in an $60-$80 book. And sometimes a professor will actually tell students that it's okay if they get the previous edition of the book instead of the most recent. So I got the older versions from half.com for $15 (incl. shipping) instead of about $90 at the campus bookstore.

If you need the books immediately, the campus bookstore is more convenient, but getting them online is usually cheaper even if they takes longer to arrive.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
My previous college had a link to the list of books on their college bookstore webpage

but i recommend waiting till the first day cuz professors in general never expect students to have their books the first day and when they go over the syllabus they always have notes or whatever like buy this edition or that edition, etc, or get this book too

Online websites that I've used are amazon.com and alibris.com-alibris is really really good for getting cheap books

and speech class does require a textbook

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
If the books are old issues, I buy them from kijiji. I got great books for a really great price last year.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's always a good chance that the required books are actually at your campus library, so you might not even have to buy the book. You could probably find them in your community library, and I'd actually bet that you will find them there, and there's usually more availability and longer loan periods.

Sometimes I've found that the prof is very comprehensive in their coverage of the texts and the class notes are usually enough for me to study with.

You may also want to look around for a bulletin board where people post used school books—you know what to do :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts