Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much as the title says.

I'm tired of my rather old and slow PC and want an upgrade.

I'm currently saving up the $$$ from a part-time job and I just want to see what people think about this topic.

Currently, the "Alien" brand seems appealing to me as an all in one package for a gaming PC. I've heard people say that if money isn't a problem, you should probably go custom build and pick out each PC component yourself.

What would the PC gurus here recommend?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Custom build, I cannot stress it enough, Alienware (I'll assume that's what you ment) costs FAR too much for what it is. Also what do you intend to play games on the computer? Either way, I'm sure we can work something out.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Definitely custom build. It's pretty easy and the money you save over anything prebuilt could be put to better use. Just have the patience to research, shop around, and make sure you get everything just right. Don't plan to find everything and buy it in a day if you're serious about getting the best deal.

Look up any new CPUs and graphics cards coming in the future cause if they're just around the corner, older yet still really good components will get a price drop.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only PC component right now that I'm unsure of is the video card.

I'm looking at the nVidia GTX 590 right now and that seems like the best buy at the moment.

The price would seem to suggest so as well, I mean 600 or so pounds sterling is a hefty price for a video card.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Be sure to look into the prerequisites when you think about purchasing a new video card, especially something like the 560-590 series.

1. Power Supply: more than 750watts is the norm. Thermaltake is a great power supply company.

2. Motherboard/CPU: A fairly fast motherboard and cpu combo, i5 or i7s are great. Get anything lower and you may risk bottlenecking, therefore limiting the video card's true potential.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
The only PC component right now that I'm unsure of is the video card.

I'm looking at the nVidia GTX 590 right now and that seems like the best buy at the moment.

The price would seem to suggest so as well, I mean 600 or so pounds sterling is a hefty price for a video card.
you prob don't need the gtx 590 but don't listen to me because i just bought the 580 :p

i tested it on starcraft 2 and it works max settings easily

·
Banned
229 Posts
Currently, the "Alien" brand seems appealing to me as an all in one package for a gaming PC.
speaking from an alienware owner, the effort put into that brand is pretty good. hell, the manual i got is wrapped in leather and i got a back up windows 7 CD with it that does not need to get activated... this is a little secret that most won't speak about (i have other secrets too that i won't tell :) ) but i found out about it because i could not find my original windows 7 cd to re-install windows on my laptop after an error..so i used the alienware one.... i was expecting to activate it but it already was... you just have to be a geek to see the benefits in just that!

plus the CPU case is well built and sturdy. also, my case has LED lights on the sides (plus one in the back to use a s a flash light when connecting things), front top and bottom, that can be changed in all colors of the rainbow. plus the HDD bays, or everything for that matter, are very easy to access. i don't know if all alienware computers come with this option but mine has the option (including the software) to put hard drives in RAID.... if you would like that.. you know RAID 0, 1, 5, or 1+0 =10.

all i have to say is that my alienware PC is well build.. all the way down to the packaging. i will posts pics about it... though i would also like to hear other peoples opinions (more like experiences) against alienware...

in all, i am not a guru... though i know enough to just know... i read http://www.tomshardware.com/ :)

·
Socially Backwards
268 Posts
like everyone else said build it yourself. alienware is over priced.

if you dont want to build it yourself, ive heard good things about CyberPowerPC, where you can order your customized rig.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Please, do not buy a GTX590 right now as that is 1000% overkill for those two games. Hell, a GTX560 TI would kill both of those no problem. Another thing is is the timeframe of when you're going to buy it as the new cards may be out sometime in the first quarter of next year seeing as these current cards have been out for a while.

Also, Thermaltake isn't a terrible power supply brand, but you can get much better brands for the same price. The name on the outside of PSU's don't really matter, but Thermaltake doesn't have too great of OEMs to stand by. Something along the lines of Corsair, Antec, or Silverstone would be great. Depends on the specific PSU's OEM though.

Here's what our standard "New Build" post layout looks like at Hardware Canucks. If you can answer all of this, we can give you a damn good build based on your needs. However, just tossing money at it for no reason isn't a great idea.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

9. What resolution do you use?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I'm definitely going with custom build on this. It's going to come out cheaper than purchasing a pre-made PC from the store.

Can anyone recommend a specific nVidia video card for running SC2 and LoL at full settings?

I don't really want to go overkill like Gunny said and purchase the most expensive one when I don't need to.

Thanks a lot for the replies in the thread. They've been quite informative.

·
B 2 Lonely
1,077 Posts
I like Corsair Power Supplies. they can get kind of expensive, but most of their models are very quiet and efficient. i just upgraded to a 1200W one yesterday, and it is very nice.

Fry's + Newegg + Amazon = Win. For individual parts, not entire systems.

i would recommend older hardware like a 5870 (i run 2 of them) for SC2, but i still don't see why they're still so much more than the 6 series, so it's probably not optimal in this case.

while i am an intel patron by nature, what about some of AMDs offerings? they tend to slide on the budget scales a little. if you are building one by yourself, the holidays are coming up, so it may be wise to save up a bit over than what you think you will need, so you have some room to play a bit.

MaximumPC had an article on building something for 1500$ (USD). i think the prices are a bit much at the time of writing, so they may have shifted around a bit. of course for stuff like DVD drives and cases, you could save some compared to what the article used. and maybe not get 2 cards.

you could also maybe look at what the competitors are selling, then try to mimic them while staying on budget. that's how i started, anyways.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Just so you know, althought the power supply is important, you'll never need a 1200W power supply, Corsair do indeed make great power supplies, but seriously 600W is fine, as long as it's a good make.

I'm unsure what to recommend for a graphics card if you want NVidia, 560Ti would be overkill for those games, but if you want to play Battlefield 3 or similar, then it's well worth the money, so I'd STILL recommend it.

Also Fry's and Newegg won't ship to the UK, and Amazon can be beaten on the previous sites I've mentioned.

OH OH OH, and getting 2 cards really isn't worth it, just get a decent single card and enjoy life.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Yeah, I'm definitely going with custom build on this. It's going to come out cheaper than purchasing a pre-made PC from the store.

Can anyone recommend a specific nVidia video card for running SC2 and LoL at full settings?

I don't really want to go overkill like Gunny said and purchase the most expensive one when I don't need to.

Thanks a lot for the replies in the thread. They've been quite informative.
Could you at least fill out what I put in my last post? I don't want to downplay your knowledge, but after doing this as my main hobby for 6 years and working with them for my job I've learned a lot of little things here and there than can help. Little things like brand reliability and warranties. I could tell you a video card to get, but I have no clue of your resolution. I might tell you something overpowered or underpowered.

Trust me when I say that 9 question quote is extremely helpful.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll answer the questions as best as possible.

1.) I'll be using my PC mainly for gaming. As I said, SC2 and LoL are probably the only games I'll be running on it.

2.) I told myself that money would not be a barrier when purchasing/building a PC, but after looking at some video card prices, I'll have to change that. £1000-1200 is probably the budget I'm looking at right now. Anything more and I'll have to be saving for a long time.

3.) United Kingdom.

4.) I have decided upon an nVidia brand video card.

5.) Yes, I plan on using my current DVD player as well as the computer case, but I'm not sure if the latter is of great importance.

6.) Yes, I've browsed some online articles that give basic advice on how to choose the different computer parts like the motherboard and PSU.

7.) Default speed. I don't want to compromise the lifespan of the video card and processor.

8.) As soon as I have saved up enough money, probably sometime in February.

9.) I use a 1280x1024 resolution.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Well ****, 1280x1024. Even a lower end card would max those games out at that resolution, although I'd still probably say get the GTX560 Ti for a tiny bit of future proofing. Do you have a preferred online store you want to get the parts from? I can piece together a build for you that way. Also, which case do you currently have?

Another thing is come February we might be hearing news about the new series of video cards so that's something to consider. Either way, 1000 pound will probably get you a beast of a computer.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't have a preferred website.

Of the websites that Ohhai listed I'll probably use the first one, overclockers.co.uk.

I just don't see a big deference between them, TBH. The prices look similar to me.

The price difference between overclockers and novatech on the video card you mentioned is about 2 pounds.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the case. This is probably the best pic I could get of it. Don't know brand or anything.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/mKEgJP9ktzC6AbIVI6AixdQ/140.jpg

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Alright, just checking. that case shouldn't be a problem. Only thing I can say to do is measure from the back of the case to the hard drive cages to see if video card clearance would be an issue. I highly doubt it though.

Once I get home from work I'll piece something together for you and explain why I chose the specific parts.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts