Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Touring a local brewery today and thinking about investing.

Minneapolis/St. Paul are very family and children friendly cities that have banished many breweries over the years (much unlike Milwaukee), so odds are against me.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts

Minneapolis/St. Paul are very family and children friendly cities that have banished many breweries over the years (much unlike Milwaukee), so odds are against me.
You can afford to buy a brewery??

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
I worked at a small microbrewery which isn't too expensive. The process controls equipment will get very expensive for a larger scale up, and that's where I need to join a more organized group.
Good idea...it may actually turn you off drinking alcohol!

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I probably should clarify. It's not an easy business at all. The site visit went went, but the equipment for a microbrewery has gone up, and each aluminum barrel (physical barrel not incuding beer) costs about $140 USD. My friend is requesting a $200,000 check for upgrade of automation. The operating costs are crazy too as the cost of raw material hops have also gone up (He's spending upwards of $1M annually on feeds). I'll have to think about it. It seems impossible to survive as a small business. I'll have to stick to my banking IT job.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
At least you're not unemployed or earning a pittance as some described on a another thread.

·
Banned
7,511 Posts
It could work if your buddy has a good niche.

How long has he been in business and what kind of growth has he seen?

BTW, I was thinking of a distillery with a similar business model to microbrew companies.

·
Loveisloveisloveislove
2,785 Posts
Ahhh, sounds like my bfs dream. He brews beer himself and im helping bottling his beer. He always wanted to own a brewing business or bar.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It could work if your buddy has a good niche.

How long has he been in business and what kind of growth has he seen?

BTW, I was thinking of a distillery with a similar business model to microbrew companies.
They have been in business since 1993 and have a relatively good niche currently doing 2500 US beer barrels (117 L each) annually but are still seeing red albeit progressively less red. I didn't ask for the yearly red chart. Mostly distributed to small upper midwest bars and liquor stores. The company has 8 people.

We should still continue brainstorming. I'll continue to save up for our brainstorming sessions.

Ahhh, sounds like my bfs dream. He brews beer himself and im helping bottling his beer. He always wanted to own a brewing business or bar.
RawrJessiRawr, make sure you guys are good at accounting. Dreams are a reality if you keep excessively organized. The beer business likes to joke, but they're glossing over killer details. Even how to come about fresh water supply (such as close to rivers) is a killer detail [that involves approvals from local governments].

·
Banned
7,511 Posts
They have been in business since 1993 and have a relatively good niche currently doing 2500 US beer barrels (117 L each) annually but are still seeing red albeit progressively less red. I didn't ask for the yearly red chart. Mostly distributed to small upper midwest bars and liquor stores. The company has 8 people.

We should still continue brainstorming. I'll continue to save up for our brainstorming sessions.
Yeah, if the red is coming from OpEx you might find an awesome opportunity.

We'll find something eventually. ;-)

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
I read that businesses that produce alcohol have one of the highest margins of any business

·
Registered
769 Posts

I'll go to it it when I visit my mom!

I think it's a good idea. Microbreweries do well here in the Northeast. Some are even family friendly. We've had lunch at a couple (and a beer, not the kids).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts