Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am supposed to practice 'deep breathing' exercises so that I have this up my sleeve for when I panic. I.e. breathe in for 3, then out for 3 etc. However, often when I practice this (and particularly if I do it while lying in bed at night) I end up going from a relatively OK state to being nearly unable to breathe. I feel like I'm not getting enough air, and it results in me hyperventilating instead, despite telling myself that I am actually getting enough air. I find it really hard to calm down or breathe normally again. Obviously that's not meant to happen... any ideas about what I might be doing wrong or why this is happening? Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I first started practicing the abdominal breathing thing, it made me feel more anxious, but you will get used to it if you keep practicing. Put your hand on your stomach, and make sure you are breathing with your diaphragm, and not your chest.

I have practiced enough that I pretty much breathe like that all the time. It seems to help with a general feeling of calmness. In my experience, however, once you go into a panic attack, the breathing exercises are useless. You can't just breathe away a panic attack, it is a lot more complex than that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, those exercises would be a problem for me 'cause i can't stand everything that has its own rythm.. like 1,2,3...1,2,3... I start getting so nervous because if i fail it, i think something will happen to me... Damn OCD -.-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts