Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wish I could stand up for myself. People can be saying the meanest things to my face and I would probably just look at them and give a dry chuckle but in my mind I'm like Well I don't really give a crap what you think! But I really wish I could curse at them. Why can't I? Just once I would like to defend myself. It's such a simple thing that everyone does but why can't I?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have this problem too, People will make me so angry that I want to hit them with a steel rod, or at least yell at them, but I can't, I just laugh, for some reason.

·
Banned
115 Posts
People with SA often have this. I have this myself but I have been getting better.

It seems to be because people with SA are not very assertive about their own individual rights and feelings. Its perfectly natural to care what others think about you.

There are many therapy techniques that help people to be more assertive. Just remember you dont have to be an *** to be assertive. Alot of people seem to associate assertiveness with jerks. lol

Medications have also be more assertive but this is because they help me to not care as much about what others think of me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wish I could stand up to people too. But no, I just let people get away with treating me like crap. Then I end up angry and take it out on the few people that actually care for me. :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
I avoid confrontation like the plague but when i do get angry i end up yelling at my wife or mother in law and it's usually not even their fault. They usually understand though, even if it upsets them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have this problem, too, although not as badly as I did about a year ago. What would happen is someone would make a stupid or insensitive comment, and I wouldn't retort because I would be trying to figure out why they'd said it! This is the SA talking...my default assumption was that I'd done something to provoke them, and that lashing out would just make me look like a jerk!
I don't think it's always necessary to stand up and respond to such asinine behaviour...a better way might simply be learning not to take it seriously. If you can believe in your self-worth enough not to let such hostility get to you, you'll communicate that in the way you respond to it: the way you laugh, roll your eyes, and walk away. And sometimes when a bully sees his/her attack butted away so casually, it's every bit as biting as the wittiest comeback!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts