Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody get something I like to call "brain strain" when in a prolonged social situation that is causing a lot of self-consciousness. I feel an urgent need to impress everyone I come into contact with. This, I know is a common symptom with SAD. I never succeed if the social event lasts longer than two minutes. Inevitably, something I do or say will fall short of perfect. I am only human after all. But, nevertheless I continue to try as hard as I can to come across as perfect as I possibly can. For example, after I was in work or school for 8 straight hours of constant social contact, I would be a mental zombie the rest of the evening because I my brain was working so hard second by second to make sure everything I said or did was as close to perfect as I could get it.

Anyway, the sensation I feel is an extreme tiredness and mental numbing of my brain after the day's activities are done. It's as if my brain just ran a marathon and was just plain worn out. I would even find it difficult to drive home. This has affected my work because I would get mentally drained shortly after lunch in which every task became 10 times more difficult than it was in the morning. I wish I could just flip that switch that keeps me on edge about a delusion that I HAVE to look perfect all the time or else that person or this person is going to think I am stupid. It would be the worst thing in the world if that happened. Logically, I know that this kind of thinking is a lie but the lie is like a monster that I can't yet figure out how to harness.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,291 Posts
There was another thread that described being drained after interaction & one poster replied that a large part of interaction is supposed to be subconscious & when you begin to try approaching it intellectually it takes way too much out of your body & mind. I find this to be true of me but I have yet to find a way to change my thinking

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Well I often tend to get headaches and feel rather physically shattered after a long day at college around people.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts