Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Texting is really really hard for me. When I send someone a text, and they don't respond within a few hours, it takes all I have in me to not send another one saying "I'm really sorry if I sounded ______" and stuff like that.

Sometimes, when I'm with a guy I like, I apologize profusely for everything, and after a couple of hours I feel the urge to get away from him.

Is this social Anxiety? and if so, how do you guys handle it?

674 Posts
Then they tell you not to apologize, and you apologize for apologizing, amirite? :p

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Okay so maybe I'm in the right place for this....finally....
It is called "reassurance seeking", and can be a symptom of OCD or other mental illnesses. It's best treated using ERP(exposure response prevention) therapy. Good luck.

·
nascentes morimur
587 Posts
I'm like this with girls and they don't seem to like it either. It almost seems like I need to change or something.

·
Lin
16 Posts
I do agree

It is called "reassurance seeking", and can be a symptom of OCD or other mental illnesses. It's best treated using ERP(exposure response prevention) therapy. Good luck.
You nailed that Dr. House, but I - who do that incessantly in the workplace, due to a bullying issue that sent me over the edge, believe a lot of why I do it in the workplace is to be assured that who ever's reassurance I am seeking is not going to become my next bully. Kind of a defense mechanism and it is NOT helpful, it drives your coworkers away or to want to keep you at arms length. Professional help and time will overcome it - patience is key!

How does that prayer go... God grant me the patience to know the difference...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts