Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been applying for jobs, and not getting many calls for interviews. I wonder if it's because of some discrepancy between my resume and anything that might come up in a background check. I can't put a few of the jobs that I've had in the last seven years because I was at them for only three weeks (4 jobs, to be precise). The other job I can't put down because the place went out of business back in 1998.

What can I do? What exactly IS contained in a background check, anyway? Do they run a scan of your SSN and get a list of every job you've ever had where you received a paycheck? Or do they only do a check on the jobs that you put down on an application?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Perhaps you could phone some of the places that didn't get back to you and ask them why you weren't called for interview? You could make it clear that you'd really like to know what to do to make your resume more attractive. Then you'd have a clearer idea of what to do to improve the resume and wouldn't be in the dark about why you're not being considered.

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,539 Posts
It depends on why you left the jobs. If it was just a seasonal job... put it down. The job where the company went out of business... put it down. If you were fired or you're not in good standing with the company and you only worked there a few weeks, leave it off. Tell them you were looking for work or getting traing during that time. They can't "scan" your work history with your SSN. In a background check, they can check your criminal history. They usually just call up your previous employers that you put on the application to find out why you left and to find out what kind of person you are and the quality of work you did.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See, I'm totally confused with all of this. I've got some people telling me to put down all of the jobs, even if they lasted three weeks, because a background check will bring up every single job I've ever had!!!!! I thought that when they checked your employment background, it was only on the jobs that you put down on the application. Do you really have to be that completely freaking honest?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have never heard of background checks revealing your past employment. I think it's mostly about your criminal record and maybe your credit history. Your resume is an advertising piece. Make yourself look good. I agree with the previous poster about what jobs to include.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions as to why you haven't been getting interviews. There could be other factors.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but seeing those people telling me to put EVERYTHING down has me bleeping paranoid now.

If I put all of those jobs down on an application, then I have to provide a reason why for each of them. What can I say that could make any of that sound positive? Two of them required working with the public, and I tanked on that. The other one, I wasn't performing the job fast enough, and the boss and I got into an argument, so I quit rather than put up with him for one more day. And the fourth...well, I was shoved down in a basement for eight hours a day and given nothing to do. Even when I asked for work, I was given nothing other than scanning, which I whipped through in less than two hours. I was reduced to re-alphabetizing the entire filing system down there just to have something to do. It was just a temp job, but how do you explain leaving that?

I might as well not look for anything at all. Apparently, I can't get hired because I was a bad little thing for caving in to pressure from home, and taking whatever I could get. I know to stop doing that now, but I had to go through those experiences in the last two years just to finally realize it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmm, the application says to put down everything? Do you have to sign swearing that it's accurate?

I still wouldn't put down temp jobs. I think you're bound to find jobs that don't require such excrutiating detail and that don't even require forms.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Carbon said:
Hmm, the application says to put down everything? Do you have to sign swearing that it's accurate?

I still wouldn't put down temp jobs. I think you're bound to find jobs that don't require such excrutiating detail and that don't even require forms.
All applications say that you testify that the information that you give is true to the best of your knowledge, etc. And you usually have to sign a form nowadays saying that you also authorize a background check. I'm not worried about criminal background checks or credit checks. Because I've never committed any crimes, or had any credit. But those damned stupid jobs...you have to give your social security number alot nowadays. I'm worried that they can look up your old W-2's or something and find out that way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Perhaps in your field all the applications ask to testify, but that's not a rule across the board (speaking from experience). Also, a lot of people get jobs through personal contacts or things like that where forms never come up and references aren't checked. Obviously, for SAers personal contacts are going to be hard to come by but the idea is that you don't always have to share everything with employers to get a job. A lot of smaller employers tend not to have complex application forms either and don't bother with background checks beyond references.

Anyway, the part about "to the best of your knowledge" would be used as a loophole for a lot of people not to give all the job experience. There are people out there who have outright lies on their resume.

I have never heard of anybody getting past W-2 information (that would probably an invasion of your privacy). They are getting things that are a matter of public record.

Do the best you can on the applications and remind yourself you don't really have any evidence that they can see your past work experiece when you think to yourself "OMG they don't want me because of those past jobs".

·
Registered
370 Posts
For my current job, they hired an "investigator" to do a background check, and they gave me a copy of the results. Nothing real interesting there. Just a public records check for convictions, etc. Also they verified I had a degree. Pretty boring stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
ahhh

LIE>>>>>>>>>one of my friends just made up a resume and applied to like 25 jobs about 10 of the 25 never even checked his resume and fake reference material because they called him back for an interview and wanted to see when he could start work...they were mainly warehouse manual labor jobs but hey it worked.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The only way an employer is going to know about your past work experience is from information you provide and what is included on your credit report - if they decide to check that.

You must give written permission before an employer or anyone else can run a credit check on you. Be sure to read the fine print on your application and anything else your employer asks you to sign.

Credit checks run by you or your employer are "soft inquiries," which means that those inquiries won't show up when or if a lender runs your credit later on; so credit checks by you or your employer will not have an adverse effect on your credit score.

Just because you gave an employer permission to check your credit does not necessarily mean they are going to do it. Think of it as another reference - some employers will care, some won't.

If you are applying for burger-flipping/retail type jobs, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Definitely put the place that went down in '98, but I wouldn't bother with the 3 week jobs unless you think they will give a good reference. Any work experience is a plus and most retail managers are satisfied just to see *something* on your application.

Other than that, try to put out as many applications as you possibly can. They really won't hurt anything and you may get a job out of the deal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Background checks check your criminal history. The company may want also a consumer check but they will make that clear to you, a consumer check checks your credit history and is basically looking for outstanding debts. Consumer checks are generally only done if you will be in a position were your capable of grand larceny with your job power.

Also as far as what jobs to list.... try and fill your employment gaps.... if its a month between 2 jobs big deal... more then that exaggerate slightly dates if possible. If you worked 20 3 week long jobs for a temp service over a 1 year period put down you worked for that temp service during that entire period and list your range of services rendered.
Larger gaps in employment history you can't exaggerate slightly did you do any volunteer work? Maybe you watched your sick uncle with alzheimers once a week.... put down simple volunteer work. Maybe you were doing self study for a school exam and took a short break or self study preparing for that MSCE certification you been wanting to get.

Don't lie outright but exaggeration is what resumes are all about. Your not lieing just embelishing on what sounds good that you did do. You won't find a one person in a high paying career that hasn't embellished somewhat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts