Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm always interested to hear of the special books that have helped shape a person's world and/or who they are.

for me, there is one:

the teenage liberation handbook: how to quit school and get a real life and education, by grace llewellyn. for this, i quit school, changed my world, changed my views. i would say that i am truly in control of my life now, unlike so many other young people who only think that they are. the book also lead me down a career path in education.

what are the significant books of your life?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Although I've enjoyed many books in my life, I'm not sure I can point to any one in particular that changed my life. Although, my writing career was given a swift kick in the butt by my reading Lord of the Rings when I was 14.

Oh yeah, and Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. This book is insanely long, complex and difficult but it sure is great.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind and Fear is no Longer My Reality by Jamie Blythe. The latter was more inspiring rather than life-changing.

·
Rainmaker
972 Posts
I haven't read any books that i would consider life changing. But a series that really inspired me was Dragonlance, particularly the stories written by Weis and Hickman and the more recent War of Souls trilogy.

ghostgurl said:
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind and Fear is no Longer My Reality by Jamie Blythe. The latter was more inspiring rather than life-changing.
I've been meaning to try Terry Goodkind. Actually I bought "Wizards First Rule" a few years ago but never got around to reading it. I guess I sort of sluffed away from fantasy for awhile... I'd really like to get back into those novels again.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
a book that did change me in some ways was "the grapes of wrath". It really showed me how poverty, machinery, and displacement can break up a family. At the same time it shows how impoverished, "powerless", people can still stand together.

it made me very anti-business.

·
Registered
194 Posts
"Against Method" by Paul Feyerabend completely changed my view of science and knowledge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts