Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

Do you have any book recommendations? I'm waiting to get approved for health insurance in order to proceed with therapy (not looking too good). In the meantime, I thought it might be good to read something that would help with SA. My profile includes my story, if that helps. Any ideas are appreciated. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Catch-22. The whole novel itself isn't really about SA, and it's a fiction not a self-help, but there's two characters in there called "Major Major Major" and "Chaplain Tappman" that really remind me of SA. It's really sad reading about them because it talks about how they attempt to make friends in the book, and how they get pushed around by the other characters.

Might want to try it. Gets confusing, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Catch-22. The whole novel itself isn't really about SA, and it's a fiction not a self-help, but there's two characters in there called "Major Major Major" and "Chaplain Tappman" that really remind me of SA. It's really sad reading about them because it talks about how they attempt to make friends in the book, and how they get pushed around by the other characters.

Sounds depressing. I'm looking for something to push me in the right direction.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
Anything by David Burns. His books helped me SO much.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts

I wouldn't read it to help with anxiety. However, I would read it to help with hilarity.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A guide to Rational Living by Albert Ellis. He pioneered CBT in the 1950's. His therapy is now called REBT (Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy). It is considered by many to be the best psychology book on the market and has helped me tremendously with my SA. It is short and to the point. The Burns books such as the Feeling Good series is definitely a must read but I would recommend A Guide to Rational Living as the best book to start out with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts