Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fitting In Here & There
808 Posts
Sometimes I think I have it. Like I'll have "ugly" days. But then to feel better, I'll remember that I didn't feel this ugly the other day! And then I realize I probably don't look nearly as bad as i think.

When I was younger I was more obsessive about my looks. It seems to go away with age. I am a lot older than you, and i wish I didn't spend so much time worrying about how I looked back then. I'm so old now, I can't compete with 20 yr olds, so I don't. I am just me.

One time recently I was laughing, walked into the bathroom, saw myself in the mirror, and was shocked! Big discovery: Usually when I look in the mirror I have a serious, miserable face on. But this time i caught myself looking happy & I was like OMG I look so different! (good!) I doubt most people smile at themselves in the mirror (?).

Then there are pictures. I'm always shocked by those too! Mostly in a negative way tho. I look so foriegn in photos. Part of that I'm sure is how the image in a photo compared to the mirror image I see everyday, is backwards. Plus I'm smiling. Smiling and backwards...it's just weird.:eyes

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have suffered with this all my life, as well as my sister and younger brother. Growing up i always needed to look good and was excessive about it. Then i got into high school and i was very skinny. I played baseball and i saw a picture of myself once and cried. I started lifting weights and it has become an obsession. I hated my body, and still do. Everyone says i am extremly athletic and good looking, but honest to goodness i do not see it. People think i am fishing for compliments so i never talk about it. But i also have had mild acne througout my life and i cant even look myself in the mirror and not be disgusted. 2 years ago when i hit rock bottom i would cry everytime i looked in the mirror. Good luck with yours, just remember that we are our own worst critics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i'm like this. i cry when looking in the mirror, looking at old pictures, i use to cover up my body and face when i was younger and now i have an eating disorder. ):

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have suffered with this all my life, as well as my sister and younger brother. Growing up i always needed to look good and was excessive about it. Then i got into high school and i was very skinny. I played baseball and i saw a picture of myself once and cried. I started lifting weights and it has become an obsession. I hated my body, and still do. Everyone says i am extremly athletic and good looking, but honest to goodness i do not see it. People think i am fishing for compliments so i never talk about it. But i also have had mild acne througout my life and i cant even look myself in the mirror and not be disgusted. 2 years ago when i hit rock bottom i would cry everytime i looked in the mirror. Good luck with yours, just remember that we are our own worst critics.
I've had mild acne too. That made me start compulsively checking my reflection in mirrors, windows ha anything. Also hate the fishing for compliments thing as well. I rarely mention it but I do sometimes slip up (I have on here!). Good luck with yours too, it sounds like you've had a tough time with it.

thewallflwr said:
i'm like this. i cry when looking in the mirror, looking at old pictures, i use to cover up my body and face when i was younger and now i have an eating disorder. ):
:(

That's really sad to hear. Thing is there's nothing wrong with us but we can't help thinking nasty crap like that. All the best with yours too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts