Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he pretty much deserves a thread of his own, right? I've been into his music for about 12 years now. he's made a lot of garbage but his best stuff really hasn't been beaten by anyone, especially the run he went on in the mid-60s. His best proper album is probably Highway 61 Revisited but I have to admit that I have a soft spot for The Basement Tapes even though its more of a compilation. His singing is awesome and I love how he just revels in the weirdness of it all. Anyone else into Dylan?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Basement Tapes is definitely my favorite Dylan album, his chemistry with The Band is impeccable. My favorite studio album is John Wesley Harding, no one can make a sad folk song so good better than Bob Dylan.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep, Dylan and the Band are a match made in music heaven. Richard Manuel was on fire during those early years.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
my favourite album is blonde on blonde or royal albert hall live '66.

dylan's music is incorperated in some ways into my very earliest memories. my dad was a dylanmaniac since i was a few years old so we would always listen to his music. he was mostly into his mid-80s to later releases and we would listen to a lot of his bootlegs, he has also seen him over 50 times. he thinks that '00s dylan is much better than most of his past years, even his early '60s pre-electric folk period. :um

i saw him live in 2004 when i was 14, i was in line since the early afternoon and got to the rail so that was a really cool experience, although admittedly i wasn't as big as a fan as i am now.
when i saw him live last year he looked like a shrunken doll and even with "it's allright ma", which is one of my favourite songs, i swear it took me 2 whole minutes into the song to actually recognize it because his voice is so gravely :lol

lately i've been really enjoying a bootleg titled "solid rock", recorded in toronto @ massey hall, april 20th 1980. it's shows off his best of the gospel period, which some people aren't a fan of but there's some i really like.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
was that the concert in 2004 at the Ricoh Coliseum? I had the railing at that show as well. His best show for me was in 2002, he had a great band and he was just on fire for the entire night. I saw him a third time in 2006 and it was terrible. He is a good live performer but I have seen much much better.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
was that the concert in 2004 at the Ricoh Coliseum? I had the railing at that show as well. His best show for me was in 2002, he had a great band and he was just on fire for the entire night. I saw him a third time in 2006 and it was terrible. He is a good live performer but I have seen much much better.
yup! that was the show. were you lining up during the day too? do you know any of those other fans there or anyone in the dylan "community" here?

yea his band is really great, one of the highlights of his shows these days.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I took the bus overnight with my then bf and we got to Ricoh at around 9am and lined up from then on. I didn't really socialize with a lot of the people cause they seemed a bit nutty and I was really really cold and sick.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
yeah I took the bus overnight with my then bf and we got to Ricoh at around 9am and lined up from then on. I didn't really socialize with a lot of the people cause they seemed a bit nutty and I was really really cold and sick.
cool.. except for the sick/cold part of course, when i lined up for radiohead (i was there since 8am) last year i had under dressed as much as one can so i was freezing and soaked the whole time and i was on the verge of hypothermia and had violent shivers and blue fingers :D with the whole SA thing i was very embarrassed but it was worth it in the end.
haha yea some are a bit nutty, i've met a lot of those people. they can get way crazy serious about being the very first to get to the rail and dylan in general. but then again i'm like that with radiohead so i understand what that obsessiveness is like.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought Springsteen fans were nutty but the Dylan people made them seem cool and easy going. I really felt sorry for some of them. One guy talked about driving up from Buffalo and not having any money cause he had lost his job. I honestly don't think he brings it enough on stage to inspire such a following, I mean for me the brilliance of Dylan is in the songwriting and the great albums, not the concerts. Springsteen, Steve Earle, The Hold Steady and Public Enemy all blow him away in the live setting. He was so terrible that last time that I couldn't listen to him for an entire year. I'll keep listening to the albums but I've had my fill of live Dylan...haha.

·
making awesome awesomer
587 Posts
Bob Dylan is great mostly because of the lyrics. He doesnt have an exceptional voice or anything but the lyrics are interesting and full of meaning. I like the lyrics to blowin in the wind.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I like dylan, but I don't listen to him much. his lyrics are whimsical and dynamic. kind of like grateful dead only his music is more literal and makes more sense to me. it would be cool to have a dead thread. I like Phil Ochs too and a few others who are kind of overshadowed by the dylan that is bob.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Desire is a spectacular album. Bob Dylan + Emmylou Harris is 9 tracks of greatness.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
I thought Springsteen fans were nutty but the Dylan people made them seem cool and easy going. I really felt sorry for some of them. One guy talked about driving up from Buffalo and not having any money cause he had lost his job. I honestly don't think he brings it enough on stage to inspire such a following, I mean for me the brilliance of Dylan is in the songwriting and the great albums, not the concerts. Springsteen, Steve Earle, The Hold Steady and Public Enemy all blow him away in the live setting. He was so terrible that last time that I couldn't listen to him for an entire year. I'll keep listening to the albums but I've had my fill of live Dylan...haha.
lol that sounds like my dad (he is not from buffalo but that type of thing he has done before).
yea i can think of many bands i've seen who have way outranked them in their current live shows, in so many ways.
neil young is only a few years younger but these days he is miles better than dylan. his live show with crazy horse is excellent (though i had crummy seats, would have been better if i was closer). so much energy, accuracy in his playing, more "personable" stage presence (other than dylan standing to the side with his head down the whole time :p), great vocals.. interesting to see the differences

·
gone
5,224 Posts
he thinks that '00s dylan is much better than most of his past years, even his early '60s pre-electric folk period.
I don't know if it's better than that, but this century's Dylan has hit some heights that, I imagine, a lot of people thought no longer possible. Love & Theft might be the best Dylan studio album since...I dunno, Desire? I like it better than Desire though. Modern Times and the new one Together Through Life are solid. I wish he would quit touring and record more often.

Basement Tapes is definitely my favorite Dylan album, his chemistry with The Band is impeccable. My favorite studio album is John Wesley Harding, no one can make a sad folk song so good better than Bob Dylan.
Ah, another John Wesley Harding fan. Great album, that. I like how it's so consciously out of step with what everyone else was doing in popular music around that time - getting louder and heavy or psychedelic and trippy, and he goes and makes a creepy wintery backwoods folk album. That led into The Basement Tapes and The Band's first two albums, and kicked off the whole roots rock movement.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I'm not familiar with any of his work. He's sort of before my time, which sounds odd given that I'm saying this to fans who are nearly a generation younger than me.:lol

·
Registered
126 Posts

The Basement Tapes is tops also, although I seem to like that more for the Band tracks.

Mississippi off of Love and Theft is probably my favorite song of all time.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ohhhhhh yeah thats one of his best songs ever, though that album is just pretty good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bob Dylan is the ****ing MAN
i love him
his music is unbelievable!!

if you like Bob Dylanm I suggest Ryan Adams. He is also awesome.
very easy listening
like dylan, he too is unreal depressing but he is too good not to listen to
hope you all enjoy it!! <3

·
Banned
959 Posts
I like Bob Dylan. His music is great. I like his voice. Like a rolling stone is my favourite song of his. Surprisingly his son has some talent as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts