Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

birthday blues

497 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  metomeya 
#1 ·
Because i'm not exactly where I want to be in life (you know, with a husband and a couple chubby babies), my birthday hits me hard every year. It's that slap in the face reminder that i'm running out of time. This year, I begin my 31st year of life (where did the time go?), I put forth an honest effort to make the best of it. I love to bake. I came up with my own recipe for ice cream cake (from scratch) and a recipe for my boyfriend's favorite cake. We intended to celebrate our birthdays together. I invited our families. My mom bailed, and not nicely. i've never had a decent or loving relationship with her. I can only assume she's punishing me for some holiday that I had to work and couldnt stay "long enough" or something beyond my control. That's when I snapped. I cried. I was embarrassed (how will it look to his family when nobody in mine cared to show?). That anxious tightness in my chest lingers for most of the day. My stomach flip-flops. I feel terrible. I've opted to stay home from our party because I dont want to be a downer. I don't want to feel like this anymore. My gift to myself this year will be cutting my mom out of my life. My boyfriend says "you're the only one who can change how you feel." My question is, how?

#2 ·
Hello, i don't know is anybody ever where they want to be in life, from my experience if you get to comfortable fate throws a curveball....

#3 ·
Hi tarab45

Stop being so hard on yourself hun. Life is pretty long, you still have loads of time to do and get the things you want in life. Figure out what those things are and take it one step at a time. Eliminate the things that cause you to feel depressed. Its just not worth it. Hope you feel better.

#6 ·
I'm just stuck in this rut and my bf acts like it's so easy to "stop being depressed". He doesn't understand. He keeps criticizing me. I finally told him that he's not helping and if he says it again, i'll snap. Now, we're not on speaking terms. When it rains, it pours. I just want to settle down and have the opportunity to have a family of my own. That's where I want to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.