Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't a bipolar messageboard, so I'm just looking for opinions I guess..

I am 1000% positive that I have SA, every last symptom ever listed down to the fear of telephones I have had. I also know I get very depressed from the consequences of having this disorder.

Lately though, I've been realizing there's something else. The other week for example.. I had a great day, went out with my boyfriend, saw a friend of ours.. had a generally nice time. I somehow was really positive about being social.. my day at work had gone very well, I thought many positive things about my future, started getting a plan going in my head for future employment.. etc, etc.. Then, when we got home, I was fine for probably 45 minutes, talking quite a bit to my bf and it all of a sudden hit me that I really don't have much else but him and my job, my "friends" are not really my friends at all, I haven't made anything of my life.. and I was severely breaking down for the rest of the night until I cried myself to sleep. The following week I was still feeling pretty sorry for myself and depressed, this morning I felt such a disconnected feeling when I was driving to work I didn't want to go. I made it through work and when I got in the car to drive home, I was back to being cheerful, called up my boyfriend and asked him to go to dinner with me.. I even talked to the waiter and made eye-contact.

I don't know.. I've always looked for there to be problems with me, so it's quite possibly my imagination, I just thought if someone had some experience with bipolar they might be able to help me sort through it.

I need to make an appointment with a doctor ASAP, but I'm really more scared of that than anything. I think I need someone to call to make an appointment for me :roll

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm sorry but i really can't get what you're asking in this post. Are you asking people if they think you are bi-polar or are you asking if anyone knows anything about this disorder?

If its the latter, I've met two people with this disorder - although I suspect the second was actually schizophrenic but afraid to tell me so. Medication is apparently the only way to deal with this disorder. And in the case of the one that i felt was not truthful (he was on lithium) the first was on Zoloft. I don't think anyone but a qualified person could tell you if you have this disorder or not.

Good Luck

·
Registered
342 Posts
Here's what I know about Bi-Polar...

There are three types (going from most to least severe):
1) Bi-Polar I - which is full-blown manic-depression (with severe depression and full-blown mania).
2) Bi-Polar II - which is "hypomania" ("hypo-" meaning below, so "hypomania" is less than full-blown mania); my doctor thinks that I have this, but no one else has ever thought that, probably because my SA covered it up by preventing me from acting in a hypomanic manner to others.
3) Bi-Polar III - which is hypomania cause by a medication; in my case, being on high-dose Nardil causes this for me, which is like being on ether, only still being able to walk.

If you're really "dancing all over the place like a monkey", you may be manic ;) , but it sounds to me that what you described was merely an emotional reaction to your positive social experience. I think that you may have just cried over the pain from which your SA has caused you to suffer in relation to your social success - i.e., "happy/sad tears" - if that makes any sense...but maybe I'm wrong. You would know better than me if that's what was happening with you.

If this continues or you continue to be concerned about having Bi-Polar, you could always check it out with a doctor, but they would have to know you well before making a competent diagnosis.

I hope this helps a little.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
To be considered bipolar you have to have had an episode of mania as well as depression. What you describe doesn't sound like mania, or even hypomania (which is a sort of 'mini'-mania). Mania is not merely good feelings, it is a form of psychosis and involves extremely exaggerated self-assessment, unrealistic expectations, impulsive behavior, changes in speech patterns, and so on.

Hypomania would be like this (my friend suffers from this): Maxing out your credit cards on impulse purchases, sleeping around with strange people (when you normally wouldn't), quitting your job or school without thinking, generally being an *** to people you're always polite too, etc. Very impulsive and too self-confident.

Mania would be like this (my friend's dad suffers from this): believing that you are God, staying up for days, talking so fast that no one can understand you, fear that the FBI is tracking your thoughts with secret satellites, deciding to buy acreage in Manitoba so you can start a llama farm for no reason, and so on. EXTREMELY impulsive and clear psychosis.

Sounds like you just had a good day. Great! Nothing wrong with that. You'll know it was a manic episode later on if you go, "Oh my God, what got into me for the past [week, month, year]?" and it generally causes your life to fall apart into a million tiny pieces.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Caedmon,

I take exception to your post.

If you're going to describe hypomania and mania in terms of your friend's and your friend's dad's behavior, then please qualify your description in terms of their behavior. Although some people with hypomania and mania do exhibit the behavior that you mentioned, not everyone does. As I said, I have hypomania, and I have none of the characteristics that you described.

Furthermore, mania is NOT a form of psychosis, nor does it involve being paranoid.

Also, there are many successful people who would not have accomplished what they have, if not for their hypomania, which drove them to do so.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
JohnnyEnnui said:
If you're going to describe hypomania and mania in terms of your friend's and your friend's dad's behavior, then please qualify your description in terms of their behavior. Although some people with hypomania and mania do exhibit the behavior that you mentioned, not everyone does. As I said, I have hypomania, and I have none of the characteristics that you described.
I thought it was fairly clear from my post that I meant the list of statements to be examples, and not a comprehensive definition. You see, I thought that when I said "like this", it would be understood to mean "like, but not identical to, X". It appears I was wrong, so I'll say it explicitly, and I'll even put it in bold: I mean those descriptors as examples, and not everyone will fit them as characteristics. If anyone wants an official definition of Manic-Depression, I would encourage them to look it up in the DSM-IV.

Furthermore, mania is NOT a form of psychosis, nor does it involve being paranoid.
Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that mania usually involves or causes psychosis. And when it does, paranoia is a common component of that. Saying mania does not involve psychosis would be like saying that SA does not involve social inhibition.

Also, there are many successful people who would not have accomplished what they have, if not for their hypomania, which drove them to do so.
That is quite true. However, I think it is fair to say that for the majority of people w/ MD, manic episodes have very devastating effects on their lives.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Caedmon said:
Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that mania usually involves or causes psychosis. And when it does, paranoia is a common component of that. Saying mania does not involve psychosis would be like saying that SA does not involve social inhibition.
This is not accurate at all.

And for your information, when you denigrate someone (like you seem to be attempting to do to me), you are doing exactly what social anxiety does to you, me, and every other member of this site.

This thread started out with someone who was concerned about being Bi-Polar. I don't think it is helpful to catastophize what Bi-Polar really is, especially when your version of what it is is filled with mis-information.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Where as.................When I was younger, and sought help for SA.......It was new, no Dr, and I mean NO Dr. Believed my anxiety was causing depression, because of the text books at that time....Depression caused anxiety (speaking in terms of what was thought then) I was alway so afraid..........I spoke fast.........At that time.......I spent a lot of money, but, my husband had a lot of money (yes, I know how that sounds.........) in a 30 interview, one DR dianosed me as being bi poler because of this.............Took me a long time, to get out of that label, one Dr said it, 6 Drs later telling me I wasn't.......I never heard I was bi polar again........

I was VERY manic a few months ago.................Well as close to it as I ever want to come...........Wellbutron put me into a........Where............I was..........No dellusional (couldn't spell any better either!) just........I talked a mile a minute, a "christian" Dr said he was to slap me! It was horrendous........

What I'm trying to say......Many of us, at one time or another could show signs, of almost any mental illness, but it has to being "on going" not a one time thing.....All avenues of your life have to be looked at as well..........

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
JohnnyEnnui said:
Caedmon said:
This is not accurate at all.
As far as I know, it is. Please show me exactly what is wrong with the above statement, and I will gladly retract it.

And for your information, when you denigrate someone (like you seem to be attempting to do to me), you are doing exactly what social anxiety does to you, me, and every other member of this site.
I'm sorry that you feel that way. It was not my intention to denigrate anyone. If I did so unintentionally, I apologize.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
JohnnyEnnui said:
Mania may, on some rare occasions, trigger a psychotic episode. If it does, then paranoia may be part of that psychotic episode. However, in most cases, those with mania do not experience psychoses involving paranoia.
Hypomania would typically not. I should make that clear. In classic mania, however, it is not rare at all.

http://www.neuro.jhmi.edu/BrainWaves/Wi ... ipolar.htm

·
Registered
371 Posts
atroxsilentium said:
I know this isn't a bipolar messageboard, so I'm just looking for opinions I guess..

I am 1000% positive that I have SA, every last symptom ever listed down to the fear of telephones I have had. I also know I get very depressed from the consequences of having this disorder.

Lately though, I've been realizing there's something else. The other week for example.. I had a great day, went out with my boyfriend, saw a friend of ours.. had a generally nice time. I somehow was really positive about being social.. my day at work had gone very well, I thought many positive things about my future, started getting a plan going in my head for future employment.. etc, etc.. Then, when we got home, I was fine for probably 45 minutes, talking quite a bit to my bf and it all of a sudden hit me that I really don't have much else but him and my job, my "friends" are not really my friends at all, I haven't made anything of my life.. and I was severely breaking down for the rest of the night until I cried myself to sleep. The following week I was still feeling pretty sorry for myself and depressed, this morning I felt such a disconnected feeling when I was driving to work I didn't want to go. I made it through work and when I got in the car to drive home, I was back to being cheerful, called up my boyfriend and asked him to go to dinner with me.. I even talked to the waiter and made eye-contact.

I don't know.. I've always looked for there to be problems with me, so it's quite possibly my imagination, I just thought if someone had some experience with bipolar they might be able to help me sort through it.

I need to make an appointment with a doctor ASAP, but I'm really more scared of that than anything. I think I need someone to call to make an appointment for me :roll
I do what you've described all the time. In the past I've thought I could have bi-polar disorder but I think I'm just a hypochondriac. Maybe the best thing to do is to make an appointment with a doctor/psych and talk to them about it. I know thats what I need to do! Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts