Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
bipolar
16,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, just wondering if there are any others on here that are bipolar. I had a thread about this in the 30 +section but it was a while ago and has been deleted.

I'm entering another manic phase and would really appreciate being able to talk about this with someone other than my doctor. This time my main symptoms are extreme irritability, anger, headache and now a tightness across my forehead. I'm currently taking Valproate 1300 mgs but will see my doctor tomorrow.

·
bipolar
16,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just joined this site and just wanted to say hello. I'm also bipolar.
Oh hi - I just realised my original post isn't exactly inviting - saying my main symptoms are anger and irritability could be a bit off-putting but i'm only like that sometimes. Normally my mania is pretty much text-book stuff - extremely impulsive behaviour, over-spending, pressured speech, grandiosity etc.

Welcome to SAS btw and thank you for responding. Are you recently diagnosed or have you known about it for a long time?

·
bipolar
16,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could be symptoms for being human :)

or getting old..
certainly describes me anyway
Yeah - it could be. I hope so anyway, really don't want to change my meds or add anything to them if I can help it. It's so weird getting a diagnosis like this at my age - you think you know what you're problems are and then find out it's different to what you'd always thought.

Thanks for the reply anyway Rider.

·
Banned
8,418 Posts
I need to know!

In a way I was diagosed for a physical display of symptoms in 2004 (not bipolar ever mentioned) but today my GP assesses me overall that it was misdiagnosed and not pertinent to me - it was an inapproximate suggestion. My negotiation with my neurologist was a blessing of agreement.

I get extremely riled. Mostly polite, or quiet. Antarctic?

My behaviour is in my spirit. Not in the neurons firing wrongly.

·
bipolar
16,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm bipolar II, I just had a recent hypomanic episode. I'm not sure what manic episodes are like but I imagine a severe version of what I have. Right now, mosty get irritable, moody and can't sleep for days. Taking seroquel has helped me with that though. And fish oil/vitamin D seems to help(could be a placebo effect). I'm here to talk if you want support. Bipolar seems to aggravate my SA as well.
Yes moody and irritable describes me very well too - but this was sort of to a new level on Saturday. My full-on manic episodes are much more severe though - in the past I've gone off and done some really crazy things, often not remembering quite a bit of it. I don't think that's going to happen this time though - am seeing my shrink today and will ask him.

Thanks, Meepie - I'm still learning about bipolar tbh and I'm interested to see how it affects other people. It seems to vary quite a lot from one person to the next.

·
bipolar
16,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In a way I was diagosed for a physical display of symptoms in 2004 (not bipolar ever mentioned) but today my GP assesses me overall that it was misdiagnosed and not pertinent to me - it was an inapproximate suggestion. My negotiation with my neurologist was a blessing of agreement.

I get extremely riled. Mostly polite, or quiet. Antarctic?

My behaviour is in my spirit. Not in the neurons firing wrongly.
Sorry to hear about your problems and hope you get some some help soon. Thanks for replying.

·
SAS Member
25,273 Posts
Hello there, just wondering if there are any others on here that are bipolar. I had a thread about this in the 30 +section but it was a while ago and has been deleted.

I'm entering another manic phase and would really appreciate being able to talk about this with someone other than my doctor. This time my main symptoms are extreme irritability, anger, headache and now a tightness across my forehead. I'm currently taking Valproate 1300 mgs but will see my doctor tomorrow.
Sorry to hear that Don, hope you improve quickly. :)

·
bipolar
16,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Facing the diagnosis of Bipolar II was hard -- I have to tell you. I just got diagnosed a month or so ago. My parents had to come home from their vacation to come see me. I cried for days on a end because I read that it's not a thinking disorder -- it's a physical illness of the brain. Oh great, I got a brain that happens to decide to go haywire whenever it wants. Well, I realized, the brain is just an organ like any other part of the body except we give it a lot of importance because it's what controls our thoughts, actions, and more. I have really hypersexual syndromes but I don't go sleeping with random people that some hypersexual people do -- just get very turned on and it's kind of annoying. These days after taking medication my sex drive and mind is more stable so I am thankful for the diagnosis because it was disturbing before. I feel calmer, more stable and happy for the first time in my life. I hope you find the same happiness. It actually helped me see what was wrong with me and to fix the problem instead of being misdiagnosed as just anxiety. :)
That's really interesting - thank you again Meepie.

I'm not completely sure how I feel about my diagnosis - but it answers a lot of questions for me. I was only diagnosed a few months ago - but there have been some suggestions for a couple of years now. About two and a half years ago I had a major manic episode that I am lucky to have survived. I took off overseas and did some things that were very dangerous indeed. I came back when my mood had changed (and the money had run out) and could not even remember where I was on particular days. It (the diagnosis) fits with a lot of other times in my life too - feelings of inflated self-worth for example, used to really confuse me. I have not had the increased sex drive when i was manic but I can understand how that would be annoying and quite confusing at the time.

People often think that mania sounds like fun - they laugh when i tell them some of what I did. But it's the way I tell them that makes it sound funny - at the time it was not fun at all. It was just too intense and I felt sort of driven. Like I had no choice but to do these crazy things.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bipolar is not particularly fun, especially when you finally come to terms with it, but keep in mind some really famous people were bipolar. Coping is good, learning more about it, and managing your symptoms helps. Still, be glad your ok, think of all the bipolar who have gone off the deep end, or what have you. I'm still not diagnosed but a family member is, and the more I read about it, I see it in another family member or two, some of these family members are not with us any more, and others are suffering worse than I am. I know this time of year really gets me cycling faster, but so can traumatic events, health issues, unknowns, certain people (SA), work, even acquiring debt, the future, having to drive all the way across town, having a couple of drinks, being alone, being with someone, oh heck, my list is probably endless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts