Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

Super Moderator
Found out my mom has it too. She was diagnosed with it twice by two doctors 10+ years ago. But she didn't believe in the diagnosis and refused treatment & meds outright. The 2nd time she was diagnosed and she refused treatment, she was fired from her job for it and she retired. Working with students when you're bipolar with no treatment, the school likely wasn't going to have it.

We always thought she would calm down more with age, but it was the opposite. Her personality only got more erratic the older she got. So finding out about this, made sense. Have another aunt, one of her sisters, who also have a very similar erratic personality as her. So I am too suspecting if she is bipolar as well. But unlike my mom, she's much more stabled and controlled with her temper outbursts. I'm also worried now if I might have it for this reason. My brother and sister, both are calm and mellow as a seashell, so they probably got my dad's genes.

Reactions: harrison

Registered
There's nothing whatsoever cool about being bipolar - it's horrible. I've been on a lower dose of my medication for a while purely because I find the side-effects difficult, but yesterday was the worst day I've had for a long time. And my GP said my blood tests show virtually no benefit from taking the dose I'm on - it's too low. So last night I increased it - yesterday was unbearable.

The only people I've seen say they like being manic was on bipolar Facebook groups - and I'm sure they must be bipolar 2 - the mania is not as severe. I guarantee they wouldn't like what I feel. You'd have to be crazier than I am to like that.

Registered
Found out my mom has it too. She was diagnosed with it twice by two doctors 10+ years ago. But she didn't believe in the diagnosis and refused treatment & meds outright. The 2nd time she was diagnosed and she refused treatment, she was fired from her job for it and she retired. Working with students when you're bipolar with no treatment, the school likely wasn't going to have it.

We always thought she would calm down more with age, but it was the opposite. Her personality only got more erratic the older she got. So finding out about this, made sense. Have another aunt, one of her sisters, who also have a very similar erratic personality as her. So I am too suspecting if she is bipolar as well. But unlike my mom, she's much more stabled and controlled with her temper outbursts. I'm also worried now if I might have it for this reason. My brother and sister, both are calm and mellow as a seashell, so they probably got my dad's genes.
Might explain some of her behaviour I guess? Doesn't make it any easier for you though of course. I hope things haven't been too difficult for you lately.

My wife is usually pretty good with me - she knows how I am and understands my rages and outbursts - although they aren't directed at her. Anyone else would find the things I say very frightening indeed. She just says you don't mean it - it's just how you're feeling atm.

Super Moderator
Might explain some of her behaviour I guess? Doesn't make it any easier for you though of course. I hope things haven't been too difficult for you lately.

My wife is usually pretty good with me - she knows how I am and understands my rages and outbursts - although they aren't directed at her. Anyone else would find the things I say very frightening indeed. She just says you don't mean it - it's just how you're feeling atm.
I try to take solace in that maybe it might help me look at her more as a "clinically crazy" and not take her so seriously. Not sure if that thought really makes much logical sense. Thanks.

That's a good way to look at it too. Your wife always sounds like a gem of a person and seems lucky to have such a person in your life.

Reactions: harrison

Registered
I try to take solace in that maybe it might help me look at her more as a "clinically crazy" and not take her so seriously. Not sure if that thought really makes much logical sense. Thanks.

That's a good way to look at it too. Your wife always sounds like a gem of a person and seems lucky to have such a person in your life.
Yeah, I am lucky. She has her moments like all of us but things could have been a lot worse - we could have both been like me for example. :oops:

I found it interesting you said your Mum's gotten worse with age and that she wouldn't accept it. That's the same with me. Even the time frame is much the same.

It's a hard thing to come to terms with. For me it's only when I have days like yesterday that I really accept it. (and times when I'm overseas and my wife's on the phone asking if I'm taking my medication) I sort of often suspect something's wrong then too.

Registered
I try to take solace in that maybe it might help me look at her more as a "clinically crazy" and not take her so seriously. Not sure if that thought really makes much logical sense.
It makes sense. It's a medical condition, and it can also be a disability depending on the severity. It's like having diabetes...but they are in the brain. Or something. Yeah, don't take her seriously, and know that it's not you, it's her.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.