Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
None of your concern
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm not really sure it's a disorder...yet. I have been reading up on it and making some effort to change direction of this bad habit.
See, when I snack, I over-snack usually...not just a bowl of chips or something small, but it turns into at least three bowls of chips or pretzels. I make excuses:
"Who cares if your overweight (I'm not), people shouldn't judge on appearance anyway...its the thought that counts"
"What the hell, I'll have some more."
"It doesn't matter, life is too short to worry about if I'm fat or not..."

etc. I am gaining weight because of these lack-of-discipline snacking episodes, and if I keep going in this direction...I will eventually become overweight...and obviously, I don't want that. I am posting here, to possibly receive some suggestions (nothing mean, please)

maybe post ideas of things to do instead of snack, because I find myself snacking when I'm bored...or stressed out.

-I snack because of boredom or comfort from a stressful day
-I want to break this bad habit and stop heading in the direction I am going
-Post suggestions to help me out with this disciplined struggle
-Post ideas for things to do instead of eat
-Post your ideas or something you noticed

don't be mean. Please. This forum is for positive support, not trolling/flaming/complete lack of social skills.
Thanks.

·
Ego Sum Umbra Bellator
232 Posts
I'll tell you right now there is a LOT of psychological crap behind all this... I know because I do the same thing myself. Food seems to be my drug of choice for self-medicating.
Food is a reward, a punishment, something you turn to when your bored or depressed...

I'll be honest I have no idea how to stop it. At one point I was determined to stop, and I ended up losing 70lbs in the process... but I had to starve myself to do it. I'm talking protein shakes and barely anything for dinner (I tries to stay under 1200 calories a day). And things in my life god a lot better, I had more confidence, felt better about myself, could do more physically, became super social... but even then I couldn't stick with it.
I started letting myself have some junk now and then, fast food here or there, and I did gain a little back, but not much. Then came the day I had a huge falling out with my "friends" and my entire life was turned upside down again. I was depressed and nothing seemed to matter. Well I pretty much gave up and over time gained all of the weight back.

I've considered having surgery twice but can't go through with it. And I can't seem to get out of the whole I'm in right now because I'm so down on myself in general... and what is the first thing I think about doing when I feel bad? Eating of course.
It's just become this completely screwed up cycle.

Obviously there is something going on in your mind where you are being chemically rewarded when you eat (you do it because it makes you feel better, at least on a chemical level)... but your know that eating will make you fat and so you end up feeling bad about doing it.
It could be some sort of taste addiction, especially if you notice you go to the same sort of foods a lot (I know I do).
I just don't know how to make this stuff stop. I know Phentermine is fairly effective, at least it has been for me (it helped me lose that 70 lbs). The problem is it will increase your blood pressure, and the longer you take it the less of an appetite suppressant effect it has... so you end up needing more and more to get the same effect. So it's not a long term solution.

I wish I could tell you exactly what to do, but I'm still trying to figure it out myself.
All I can say is try and do what you can NOW... because the older you get the harder it gets to deal with. I used to be thin as a child, now I'm a total fat ***, and it's completely ruined my life. I hate myself because of it, I've wanted to die because of it, I don't want to go out or do anything because I'm so ashamed of myself for looking the way I do. I don't like the idea of other people having to go through that as well.

Mind you, a lot of other people have no issue with me... I am involved with someone, I work full time, etc... so it's not like I'm truly this pathetic loser of a person because of my weight/size... but because of how I see myself, and the psychological effect it has on me, I might as well be. The way I feel about myself and view myself truly prevents me from living my life and being happy.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Here's what I do /try to do:
At the end of the day; take the time to cook a nice meal.
Eat at the table, not infront of the tv (so as not to associate watching tv with eating)
Brush your teeth straight away after a meal, or when you feel like eating but know you don't need to.
If you're tempted, go for a short walk first to think about it, so you can remind yourself what you really want.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I binge eat....in the middle of the night. Every night. Wake up, go downstairs, and consume sick amounts of carbs/sugar, go back to bed.

·
Fall 7 times, stand up 8.
8,916 Posts
First I think you should work on countering the thoughts you use to justify your binging.

It's true that being overweight isn't the end of the world, but it comes with health risks. Why let yourself get fat when you could be thin, eating well, and feel even better about your healthy lifestyle?

As far as distracting yourself, here are some tasks you can do instead of eat:

-Ask a friend to hang out
-Pick up a new hobby or work on an old one
-Write your feelings out in a journal/diary
-Go for a walk
-Listen to music. Sing along.
-Watch a tv show or movie
-Play a video or board game
-Read a book/magazine of interest
-Do homework or chores
-Clean

I would try drinking a full glass of water. It'll fill you up, and delay your eating. Once you've successfully delayed eating, you'll see that you're able to do it and it will give you some confidence. Try snacking on fruits and veggies, and use light veggie dip or ranch if you can't stand the taste. Hey, it's healthier than potato chips. :) And how about gum? Chewing it might help you get the same feeling as if you're eating.

·
Banned
422 Posts
An eating disorder is something that is very difficult to overcome on your own. I have tried to handle it on my own for years with little success. It takes a serious toll on your body as well. I wish you the best and I definitely recommend professional help. Believe it or not, men have those problems as well :)

·
None of your concern
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First I think you should work on countering the thoughts you use to justify your binging.

It's true that being overweight isn't the end of the world, but it comes with health risks. Why let yourself get fat when you could be thin, eating well, and feel even better about your healthy lifestyle?

As far as distracting yourself, here are some tasks you can do instead of eat:

-Ask a friend to hang out
-Pick up a new hobby or work on an old one
-Write your feelings out in a journal/diary
-Go for a walk
-Listen to music. Sing along.
-Watch a tv show or movie
-Play a video or board game
-Read a book/magazine of interest
-Do homework or chores
-Clean

I would try drinking a full glass of water. It'll fill you up, and delay your eating. Once you've successfully delayed eating, you'll see that you're able to do it and it will give you some confidence. Try snacking on fruits and veggies, and use light veggie dip or ranch if you can't stand the taste. Hey, it's healthier than potato chips. :) And how about gum? Chewing it might help you get the same feeling as if you're eating.
Thank you :squeeze

1 - 8 of 8 Posts