Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529328,00.html
DEVELOPING: Television pitchman Billy Mays - who built his fame by appearing on commercials and infomercials promoting household products and gadgets - died Sunday.

Mays, 50, was found unresponsive by his wife inside his Tampa, Fla., home at 7:45 a.m. on Sunday, according to the Tampa Police Department.

Police said there were no signs of forced entry to Mays' residence and foul play is not suspected. Authorities said an autopsy should be complete by Monday afternoon.

"Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days. Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times," Mays wife, Deborah, said in a statement on Sunday.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Omg, is that for real?!

Edit: Checked, its true.

Damn, I loved watching funny remixes of his infomercials.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He was definitely passionate about his work. I still buy five-pound boxes of OxyClean for $15. The store I got my last box from, Linens & Things, I think, went bankrupt!

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
That's a shame that he died so young. Not too long after his discovery channel show Pitchmen either. Wonder if Pitchmen is still being aired, because I never had a chance to see it. I never bought anything he pitched, but I grew up watching many of his infomercials.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
He annoyed the **** out of me. His voice is so loud you couldn't do anything but pay attention to whatever he was saying, but that just means he was good at what he did. Another one taken from us too young.

R.I.P.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Actually just looked and found an old tub of OxiClean. Guess we must have bought it at a store

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,362 Posts
^^ definitely. Another person gone in just a couple of days, who's next, the Queen of England? Sir Paul McCartney? The President?

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
:(

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
This one took me most by surprise as I was a becoming a big fan of Pitchmen. It was full of great absurd moments like Billy Mays hitting his hand full-force with a hammer to demonstrate a shoe insole gel, or shooting a bazooka full of bugs at a car window to test a windshield wiper. In contrast to the obnoxious selling persona (often poked fun of on the show), he came off as an extremely funny and likable guy. Bummer.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
It is so ironic that he got hit on the head and was dead the next day. Sounds like it could have been a concussion. I don't know why people think they're invincible. No word if he was examined by a doctor. People should go to the doctor asap after a head injury.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Seems a dangerous time to be 50 & famous.

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
I saw his show one time. From what I saw, he seemed like a huge a-hole.

They were testing some kind of shark repellent device. They went to shark infested waters, threw the device on his partner (some European guy), and he jumped into the water. The poor guy was swimming around and Billy brings out a bucket filled with bloody fish(?). He started throwing them into the water and the guy starts freaking out asking Billy to "please" stop. Billy was laughing his *** off. When the guy got out of the water he almost kicked Billy's ***. As hilarious as I found that, I still thought it was messed up. I never liked him after that.

Sucks that he died though.
I only vaguely remember that part from the episode, but some of the goofy pranks Mays and Anthony Sullivan (Euro guy) play on each other seem rather staged. Stupid product anyway, haha.

wow, the only commercial guy I can actually remember, besides the dell dude whoever he was.
Remember the Encyclopedia Britannica guy? Ughhh.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts