Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well he is not really a bill collector but he is the guy that issued the mortgage on my home. I usually call in my payment and I have built a relationship with him. Isn't this weird? It is all because I started telling him all kinds of stuff about me like he was a good friend. He asked why my payment was late and I told him because of lack of child support and the conversation just took off from there. I dont know it just feels weird that I told him a bunch of stuff about me.

Also the guy at my wireless store. I think he is the manager but I diffused an irate customer and he thanked me.

Why in the world would I even do this? Strange. But it felt good!

·
Force of Habit
91 Posts
Well first of all, congratulations on defusing the situation with the angry customer. I know from experience how fraught that is for someone with SAD!

In all honesty, neither of these situations sound weird at all. I used to work in customer care myself, and I often found that complete strangers would start opening up to me about problems that they might not tell even their close friends about. It does seem strange at first, but at the end of the day, we humans need to talk about our problems; and if complex relationship dynamics or social anxiety make it hard for us to do so with our friends and loved ones, we do so with whoever will listen. Professionals are there to listen, and they accept hearing about your personal life as part of the job - in fact, many of them take great satisfaction from being able to provide a sympathetic ear to a person in need of a chat, no matter which industry they work in. So don't feel weird about these situations - they just show that despite SAD, you're perfectly capable of genuine openness and empathy when you feel like it :).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts