Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though I've travelled across Canada and Europe before, I've never gone anywhere solo for more than a day or two. There's always been at least a friend or family member there with me whwnever I took off for work or vacation.

But that's all about to change when I depart this Monday for a logging camp in northwestern Quebec. I'll be plowing down trees up until school starts in mid-September with no friends, parents or siblings to provide emotional support during my stay in camp or at the worksite. This will be a major challenge for me since I have a dismal record of making news friends all on my own.

I've been able to keep my anticipatory anxiety down over the past two weeks and have kept my spirits high through a steady diet of positive reinforcements. Sounds corny, but it makes life a lot more manageable. Right now my greatest concern lies within the money-making potential of this contract, not how my social life will be impacted. It's also comforting to know that the job is temporary (though I might continue to do it throughout the schoolyear) and I have several seasons of experience in reforestation camps.

Still, it's going to be interesting to say the least.

I don't really need the money but my alternatives would be to work in the city or take the rest of August off. The problem with the former is that in the city I'd earn less than half of what I could make in the bush. As for the latter, I just can't seem to relax and find myself very gradually, but surely, sinking into a glut.

I think I'm becoming a workaholic. I work to escape life, or more precisely, the relentless cascade of hard questions I keep posing to myself. At least when I have my nose to the grinding wheel I can stay focused on less self-destructive thoughts. Better yet, I can at least produce something and invest the extra earnings into an ambition I have yet to feel.

Think positive...think positive.

Not being anxious is work enough in itself. But at least my SA has improved moderately and is slowly becoming easier to manage.

For me, work is my release. That, and I think extreme sports. With the extra coin I pocket at the end of this contract I'm getting myself a set of skis and a season pass at Mt. Tremblant (largest ski resort in eastern Canada). Oh, and I'd like to go skydiving in September. If anyone from the Ottawa region is interested in those activities, let me know :)

I feel like a giddy school girl right now. I'm not sure whether I should be excited, frightened, or sad to be leaving for a month. Right now, all I know is that I'm confused.

cheers

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been able to keep my anticipatory anxiety down over the past two weeks and have kept my spirits high through a steady diet of positive reinforcements. Sounds corny, but it makes life a lot more manageable.
It's not corny at all. I repeat this mantra "I am cool, calm, and confident" constantly to myself and have noticed that it has helped reduce my anxiety a bit.

Good luck by the way. :)

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Username,

You'll have plenty to post about when you return. Best of luck in you job.

...and I do have a problem with workaholism, too. Just make sure you let loose every once in a while! :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Username said:
I think I'm becoming a workaholic. I work to escape life, or more precisely, the relentless cascade of hard questions I keep posing to myself. At least when I have my nose to the grinding wheel I can stay focused on less self-destructive thoughts. Better yet, I can at least produce something and invest the extra earnings into an ambition I have yet to feel.
I know that feeling well, but in this case I think the work experience itself is a huge leap forward in overcoming SA. You sound pretty calm and collect, which is good, and if nothing else you'll get a lot of money out of it.

I wish you the best and please post up the aftermath of the trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts