Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 19 and i'm going to college in september. I've narrowed it down to two colleges. One is alot smaller and only has about 2,000 students and the other is much bigger with 12,000 students.

So i'm wondering which would be the better option?

The smaller college you'd probably become familar with most people after a while seeing everyone on a daily basis and find out who you like and who you don't like. In a large college i imagine it would be harder to get to know people due to the shear number of people but maybe it would be good beause there's more chance of meeting people you like. Confusing.

I don't really know what to expect from collge as i've never been. Has anyone got experience of this and what advice would you have?:blank

Btw i wouldn't be living on campus i'd be at home as neither college is too far away :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well,l I started out a small private college and didn't like it for many reasons one of which was it felt really cliquey. After two years I transfered to a large state college and felt a lot better, there's more people which mean a greater variety of personalities to choose your friends from, and also if you don't want friends you can just allow yourself to fade into the background and hardly anyone notices.

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
I went to a small private college and I didn't mind it. I think I received a better education and I like the smaller classes. I don't think I would like of going to a large university and sitting in the nose bleed seats in a big lecture hall.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
I prefer a larger university due to the anonymity factor. I don't have to worry about having to talk to people in class or running into a lot of people that I know every day. I can sit by myself and it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest i don't want to remain anonymous anymore i've had enough of that so if i actually wanted to make friends and challenge my comfort level which college would be better?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I went to a small college of about 4,000 and now am at a university of over 20,000. I prefer the smaller college because I found it easier to make friends there. I found at the small college you are more likely to see people that share several classes with you and they sometimes notice and will come up to speak to you making opportunities to find friends. Also at the small colleges when you go to different organization meetings there are less people so many of them will speak to you soon as you join and become aquainted to you. Being in a a tiny sorority at this school also helped a ton and often in classes girls from other sororities would have you sit near them providing a great opportunity find friends. However, the downside of a small college is if you do something word of it spreads like quickly to everyone. I had a lot more friends at my small college than I do at the large university. The large university just makes it to easy to fall into the background and people are less likely to come up to you to talk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to a very small college (less than 800 students), and I really enjoyed my experience. I only applied to smaller schools because I felt like I would be much more comfortable in that environment. All of my classes had less than 25 students, and that appealed to me a lot more than classes that had hundreds of students in them. I can see how it might be the opposite for some people; being in a smaller class also meant more class participation and more interaction with the professor in most cases. I recognized every person on campus and that made me feel less anonymous. Also, I'm not sure if it's because it was a small school or because it was a women's college, but I felt like we had a lot of students who probably didn't really fit in when they were in high school, so it was easier to interact and bond with other people who were also social misfits :) The best thing, in my opinion, is to visit the schools (which I'm sure you have since you're close to both) and sit in on some classes and see which fits you best.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slightly off topic but i just found out that someone i hate has been going to the smaller college for the last year and not only that but he's been doing the exact same course i'm thinking about doing :eek:

Even though he'd be a year ahead of me i'd still feel akward that he'd be telling people about how i was at school. I wanted a fresh start with people i didn't know but if he was there i'm afraid i'd carry on in my old ways. Its so annoying if it was any other person at all i wouldn't mind but him :|

I wasn't even bullied by him, he even seemed friendly enough at times but he just comes across as a very sly person who wouldn't hesitate to remind me and everyone else how shy i was and how i rarely ever talked. I saw his profile on facebook and he wrote how he'd miss the people in our year and listed them all and why he'd miss them jokingly and then wrote whoever i forgot isn't important....like Brian (which is me). That comment did hurt because even though i thought he was a bit sly i seemed like we got on okay at school. I sometimes think if i'd talked just a bit more i could of become friends with him but it wasn't to be and now i hate him.

I was about to apply for this course in the smaller college until i found this out. It was the only course in both colleges i really found interesting so should i let someone i hate get in the way of want i want to do? I know i shouldn't but its just i can't imagine being comfortable knowing he's around.
This alone is making want to go to the bigger college even though the courses don't look half as interesting :no

·
Registered
186 Posts
I thought about going to a small private college with only a few thousand students before deciding on a large one with tens of thousands. While it is a large uni, because there are a lot of commuter students, in the evenings and weekends it has the feeling of a smaller one, which I like. And, the bigger University has a lot of more opportunities than the smaller one.

It has many more courses and study abroad opportunities. While the lower division graduation courses can have hundreds of students, I've found that my upper-div major courses or special req clsses can have as few as 12 or as many as 45 - not that large. It can be either harder or easier to make friends depending on the outlook. Small schools offer a more intimate setting to get to know fellow students whom you may have multiple classes with. But, larger schools can have more students of diverse backgrounds and more student orgs where you can go to find those with common interests...

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I'm currently at a large university and enjoy it. Couldn't imagine being at a small one. There's less social pressure and more room for yourself. Its not hard to approach people if you really want to though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I went to a really large university with around 30,000 students. It was my first choice school--actually, it was the only college I applied to. I just graduated a few weeks ago. What I liked about attending a large college was that there were tons of activities going on, thousands of classes to choose from, etc. It was also great too that at least the classes I took during my first 2 years were large with anywhere from 100-500 students. I really liked the anonymity of being a "number" rather than an individual. Looking back, I wish I would have gotten more involved in activities and stuff like that. I did live in the dorms for two years with 1000+ students in the one dorm building I resided in, but I never got to know anybody. I did not make any friends at all during my college years. I was, quite honestly, disappointed that at the end of four years (okay, 5 in my case lol), I came out the same person I was when I entered! I expected that my personality would change; that I would leave college with friends, that somehow along the way my social phobia would disappear. But it didn't. I did, however, with many skills that will undoubtedly help me in future endeavors.

I think you should go with whatever college you feel would be a good fit for you. A small college might make it easier to get to know people; but then again, with a smaller college (especially one with as little as 2,000 students) might have its advantages and disadvantages, as well. The smaller school might have students who are more conservative or liberal, students who tend to have certain ideological beliefs, etc. so you should find out what the students are like before you apply. If your beliefs are similar to theirs, then you'll fit right in. If your beliefs are different...well, that's something to think about.

Good luck with college! :)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I think I prefer larger colleges. They get more funding and have more resources, so generally they are more well known and therefore more conducive to landing you a job. Also, there are a lot more student groups you can join, and so if you're proactive about getting involved in those groups, you're more likely to find a niche of people more suited to you. Also, in a large college, you'll usually be somewhat anonymous in many of your classes and out on campus, which makes for more controlled social interactions: you can interact with others in meetings or parties with the particular groups you are involved with when YOU want, not necessarily when you HAVE to.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have found that even in a small college you are anonymous if you want to be. At this age people there are there for their own business and if you don't make an effort to be noticed then people will not notice you even if there is 20 people in the class, so I say small, size has nothing to do with social pressure as everyone seems to mind their own business unless you actually try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts