Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really, really, REALLY want to become a Clinical Psychologist. It's the only thing I am passionate about, job-wise, and cannot think of anything else I would enjoy as much. I've accepted the fact that I will have to work full-time in order to make a living, the same as everyone else, but I still hate the fact that this is how life has to be for most people. I don't really want to spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week just working, but if I have to, it will be in something I enjoy.

What I'm worried about is that SA will hold me back and stop me from getting the kind of job I want. I need to do voluntary work, and then hopefully get some kind of paid work, working with people with mental health problems. After that, I need to be an assistant psychologist for at least a year or so, and then I can apply to do a Clinical Psychology PhD.

Is there anyone out there who has gotten the job they want, in spite of their SA? Any advice/ tips? I really think I'd need to take some kind of medication just to get through any interviews because my anxiety is at its worst in those kinds of situations. Thanks for reading, if you did :)

·
Banned
227 Posts
Perhaps an inspirational quote?:
The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.

All the best.

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh, thank you :)

I love your avatar. Are you a fellow Black Books fan?

·
In the doghouse
1,165 Posts
I let myself be held back by SA for a long time. I've had countless ****ty jobs. Now i'm bound and determined to find something to do that i would enjoy and maybe even feel passionate about. I'd say the most important thing to remember is to remain focused on your goal. This might make the struggles feel more worth while.

Medication could definitely help. I know Effexor XR has helped tons with my situation. If you go to the med section make sure to read up on MAOIs which i don't take, however they are supposedly very helpful with situations like public speaking/interviewing/etc.

The best of luck to you! :)

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I let myself be held back by SA for a long time. I've had countless ****ty jobs. Now i'm bound and determined to find something to do that i would enjoy and maybe even feel passionate about. I'd say the most important thing to remember is to remain focused on your goal. This might make the struggles feel more worth while.

Medication could definitely help. I know Effexor XR has helped tons with my situation. If you go to the med section make sure to read up on MAOIs which i don't take, however they are supposedly very helpful with situations like public speaking/interviewing/etc.

The best of luck to you! :)
Thank you, alibaba :) I hope you find something you're passionate about too. I'll see what people have to say about MAOIs, although I don't think my doctor would prescribe me anything like that. She doesn't believe in SA! I might see if I can get something online though.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I work with people who have mental health issues and I find it quite easy to interact with them most of the time. Our social skills are both pretty crappy, so the long silences or awkward conversations aren't nearly as bad! It's like I know they're not judging me, so we can just be ourselves.

Also, usually when you're in grad school for this kind of stuff, they make you work pretty hard on your own stuff, so that it won't affect your future work too much. Which is good because your own stuff gets worked on, but it can also be very difficult to get into all that while trying to do school at the same time.

Good luck with it!!

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I work with people who have mental health issues and I find it quite easy to interact with them most of the time. Our social skills are both pretty crappy, so the long silences or awkward conversations aren't nearly as bad! It's like I know they're not judging me, so we can just be ourselves.

Also, usually when you're in grad school for this kind of stuff, they make you work pretty hard on your own stuff, so that it won't affect your future work too much. Which is good because your own stuff gets worked on, but it can also be very difficult to get into all that while trying to do school at the same time.

Good luck with it!!
Thank you! :) I know what you mean, I think I'll feel less inadequate around other people with mental health problems and am hoping conversing won't be such a pain in the hole :b I want to do this voluntary thing where you befriend someone with mental health problems and provide them with a social contact so they're not quite so isolated. I like the thought of this, but it's also quite scary because that person will be dependent on ME for something, but I am very dependent on others for support. I have a genuine desire to help people though and hope I can do so in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts