Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am bi-polar. I've had two documented bouts of hypomania characterized by a complete lack of anxiety and social freedom, which, needless to say, was absolutely wonderful, until it all came crashing down, both with the bi-polar depression, and with the anxiety coming back, which doubled the depression. Has anybody else with bi-polar, who is willing to disclose this aspect of their lives with the forum, shared this experience? Although I am now taking mood-stabilizers, it doesn't totally stop the ups and downs, they are just lessened. It's very annoying because whenever I am more socially adpet orhaving a good time socially, I attribute it to me being possibly a little manic. Therefore, I fear that when I come down from being manic, I will get the anxiety again. It's so annyoing because I can never feel good or confident genuinely! If I do, I think its cuz I'm manic, so i never count it as real, and just wait for the the mania to pass so I can discover the real me who is anxious and self-loathing. It seems like I'm not in control of anything in terms of my feelings towards myself. AHHHHHHHHh!!!!!!!
Curt :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is pretty much my situation as well. I'm Bipolar II with generalized Social Anxiety Disorder.

Any antidepressant will "launch" me into hypomania, and along with that mood elevation my social anxiety *vanishes*. When I sink back into depression, the anxiety returns.

So, when I'm feeling very "social" with lack of anxiety and not depressed, I've learned to become suspicious that I may be getting hypomanic - not a fun situation.

Using a mood stabilizer(s) w. an antidepressant (getting the right combination can be really difficult) should be the answer to this - one's mood and anxiety should be improved and stable. I've experienced this "balance" for months at a time, but I can't seem to maintain it long-term.

Wish I knew some better answers.

Anyway, you're not alone in this situation.

Hang in there, and keep working at it (I try to but I do despair a lot).

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im bipolar 2 and i find that my anxiety thats associated with social situation gets alot better when im hypomanic but it is replaced often with an anxiety about dropping or getting depressed again.

I tend to be more social when manic but im also not sure of myself like im being fake or its just the manic mood. i dont really have any advice just wanted to say I have the same type of thing going on. Hope everything gets better.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not looking for advice, I just wanted to know if other people experience this too, that's all, because it bothers the hell out of me, and I didn't know if I was the only one. I suspected not, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for your posts, I'm glad I'm not alone. There's nothing like having your worst fears taken away, and then given back to you. The first time, I had a pretty severe bout of hypomania, and when I came down, it was VERY bad. I've never been so depressed or suicidal in my life. I was barely living for about eight months. The worst part wasn't the bi-polar depression itself, but the anxiety that I thought was gone . I didn't want to deal with it, and became very depressed. That's why I get upset when I'm feeling good (???), because I assume its thatI 'm manic, and is not real. When I'm anxious and depressed, I'm happy (??????) because I know I'm working with reality. I cant win. But whatever, I can deal with it. It's not that bad anymore, especially with the mood stabilizers. I can accept this, just wanted to know if you all felt the same. :) cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts