Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have "better than nothing" friends, for want of a better label!?

Friends that you havent much in common with, or maybe had quite a lot in the past, but now someones changed and you stick with them cos the alternative is loneliness and isolation?
Ever wonder is this actually better than just cutting ties and trying to find people you really click with?

I spent last weekend on a road trip with my best friend of almost 20 years. We met in high school. We have a similar sense of humour, are similarly socially awkward and neither of us have ever been in relationships. While our other friends from school have moved on, we more or less stick by each other out of necessity than anything else. I'd like to think Im still the same person I was back then. He has had some tough times in his family in recent years, and has become a colder, maybe even slightly bitter person. We have our disagreements and many times I wonder what the hell I'm doing still spending time with someone who doesnt really want to be there, just as I don't. But then I remember why, whats the alternative.
It's depressing to go out and see real friends having the time of their lives while on holiday. Its like being a starving homeless man, looking through the window at an all you can eat buffet!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yeah I have, also created a thread about one of them a while ago.
Like you, I've known him since high school. We do have things in common, like movies and music, but he can be a bit self absorbed at times.
He's the kind off guy who forgets about his friends when he's in a relationship, and he also has some other bad traits that annoy me.

A couple of times I also thought "what am I doing here?" when we were just talking about him and his problems the entire time.

I've decided to hang out with him every now and then, maybe once a month, probably even less. Especially since I don't have that many friends, and it's better than nothing.
The people who I consider "friends", probably see me more like an acquaintance, and they already have their own group of friends (which I'm not part of), who hang out all the time.

I would love to have a group of close friends, like I see on Facebook all the time. People who go to festivals together, go on trips, party on New Years Eve...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Yes. I had a friend like that (had rather than have since we rarely ever communicate). We met when I was younger, in middle school and we eventually got extremely close. I loved hanging out with her, even though she was really mean to me sometimes, like extremely mean and she was very self absorbed. Yet I clinged to her for years. I always described her as a "better than nothing" friend, because at least I had one right?...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would love to have a group of close friends, like I see on Facebook all the time. People who go to festivals together, go on trips, party on New Years Eve...
Yes. Apart from the odd movie trip, and night out, we do very little together. And now its at the stage where I wouldnt really want to do anymore with him anyway. But it would be great to have people whose company you really enjoy to go to music festivals, weekend's away etc. They don't know how lucky they are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts