Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I'm better off without TV. It was around three years ago when my TV exploded, and I couldn't afford to get it replaced. So to fill my time, I decided to study part-time for a geosciences degree with the open university. I'm about halfway through at the moment.

It's far too easy to get home after a long day at work and just slob-out in front of the TV. I now have the money to get myself another TV, but I've no intention of doing so.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Better.

*I'd spend that money on other things...anything would be worth spending my money on more than cable, I'm sure.

*I'd either read more, get out more, exercise more, or not get brainwashed by some of the crap that is on tv.

If I start missing some of the crap that is on tv, I still have my internet, which I will neverrrrr give up :no.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I think my life would be better. I've been watching less TV lately. I've spent more time reflecting and being alone with my thoughts. TV is definitely a distraction.

We had to go a weekend without cable and internet last month because AT&T botched the installation. That was tough, but I was more productive and it forced me to leave the house.

·
nothing
286 Posts
I haven't had TV for 3 years and I am soooo much better for it. I don't miss it at all. Any shows I want to watch I find streaming online. No cable bills, no commercials, totally on my time, my schedule. .

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
Worse. I depend on movies mainly for escapism, and if I didn't have a television I'd figure out a way to go to the movie theater multiple times a week. It would be expensive.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Better off, the internet is vastly superior.

I just torrent TV shows that interest me, commercial free!
This.

Commercials are outright intolerable to me, so I use my TV 95% of the time for games and maybe watch an hour of TV shows or a movie downloaded off the net every other day.

For real though, if TV ever went off the air I believe there'd be riots and blood in the streets. Society is all too aware of addictions like drugs and alcohol but the rampant TV addiction in society is never spoken of yet probably more widespread than other types.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I KNOW I'd be better off without it,but I can't live without it...

·
nothing
286 Posts

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I'd be worse no sports that would suck I could survive by listening to games on the radio though but that's not as good. Also couldn't watch films that'd be even more terrible, i dont have normal taste in films so the internet would be of little value other than streaming films on netflix but then i wouldn't get to see a lot of the obscure films i so love.

·
Registered
463 Posts
In High School, my life revolved around TV, internet, and homework.

I am in college now and my life now revolves around internet, homework, learning sign language, and over coming my SA. Having no TV in my dorm room has made me have to focus on other things. I have more time now so I have been putting extra effort into over coming my SA. I have been wanting to learn sign language for a while and now, with no TV, I have the time. :D

If anyone else wants to learn Sign Language I made an eGroup on this site. Check it out!!

·
Banned
6,269 Posts
I could possibly be better off since it will free up a lot of time that I would previously be using watching tv shows. I do love my TV shows right now though. I'm assuming TV counts as streaming/downloading tv shows on the internet.

·
Abendfuchs
1,357 Posts
Much betta. Don't have to spend money on cable subscription or a television, and I have more time. I watch a couple shows online, and I netflix, and that's it. TV is obsolete to me now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.