Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I signed up here a few years back, but never really did anything, and pretty much forgot that I joined. Well things aren't really much better than they were then, but I guess I'm ready to say something.

I've never been good at making friends, and have never really had any close friends. Throughout elementary school I'd have friends that I hung out with at school, but outside of school I never really did much of anything with anyone. Then junior high and high school came along, and things just got worse. I barely ever talked to anyone, and the only times I'd meet up with other kids outside of school would be while working on school projects, or playing baseball. I went to college for 2 years, and absolutely hated it. My roommate the first year was an inconsiderate buffoon that I had little in common with. I was an architecture major my first year, but grew to hate it. I think It was a combination of not liking what they were teaching, and the fact that nobody bothered to include me in anything, while they all seemed to become good friends. In my second year I changed my major to visual communications (graphic design). I really liked it, but again, I somehow landed on the outside of everyone's social circles. I had also moved into a single dorm room, and wasn't able to make friends, or really talk at all to my neighbors. So here I was, alone, with very minimal social contact. My depression got the best of me, and I started skipping class regularly in favor of just moping around and sleeping in my room. This, combined with several other major factors that I won't get into, led me to just say to hell with school, and I dropped out. That's what eventually lead to me signing up here in the first place.

I've always been able to socialize much easier over the internet, as I'm sure all of you can relate. I've come to know some people fairly well through another forum, and even have several of them on my facebook. Heck, I think there's more of them on there than people I went to school with (which isn't saying much). Well almost 2 years ago I started playing an MMO, and over time I became good friends with a few people, and thought I was really close with one in particular. Over the last month or two, that all blew up in my face, and made me realize just how much I need to make some real friends for once. I figured this might be a good place to start getting help, and figure out what to do.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, Burgundy! :)

·
F♯ A♯ ∞
455 Posts
Welcome Burgandy
Your school years sounded a lot like mine and even during university i found myself superficially connected to people at best. I also understand how its easier to socialize on the internet, where you cant feel the person 'eyeing' you and where silences are welcomed and not awkward :p
I hope you can find some people in your physical world that you can connect with.

All the best.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Jim, welcome back. :hyper

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Welcome! Hope you find what you're looking for. If you need someone to talk to about (insert topic), feel free to msg me at any time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts