Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the best is "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.

I read it about four years ago and it had a profound effect on me.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Oh, I can't decide. This is just off the top of my head here, sorry, but these books have really changed my life:

- Marcus Borg, "The God I Never Knew"
Simply put, it gave me back my God.

- Kathleen Norris, "Amazing Grace"
Such a beautiful and honest book. Never preachy, never false, and filled with everything that is good about Christianity.

- Tara Brach, "Radical Acceptance"
The best book on Buddhist spirituality I have ever read.

- Martin Buber, "I And Thou"
Jewish mystic and philosopher describes what I never could, the God that is the eternal You. This book is a must-read.

- Soren Keirkegaard, "Fear And Trembling"
A most challenging look at faith, and why it can only ever be an individual experience.

- Elie Wiesel, "Night"
A look at theism juxtaposed with horrific scenes of the Holocaust, through the eyes of a young boy. Takes the problem of suffering and exposes it at its barest.

- Paul Tillich, "The Courage To Be"
My first introduction to the God above the God of theism, and still the best book in terms of "arguing" for such a notion.

- Brooks Hansen, "The Chess Garden"
This book single-handedly shattered the religious beliefs my parents instilled in me, and I've never ceased to be grateful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, I may not quite be as deep a reader as Frogamigo.

But, The Little Prince by Antoine St. Exupery (both in English and French) struck me as the most spiritual, non-religious, book I've ever read. It really talks about the meaning of life and what is important from the point of view of a little boy who has his own planet. It is so charming and so effective in its message I just can't think of anything else.

Well, I guess I can. The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom gives a Christian perspective on the Holocaust. The author, a Dutch woman, ends up in a concentration camp because she's caught housing Jews during the Holocaust. A very beautiful book for the Christian reader.

·
Registered
254 Posts
to date,
the best spiritual book I have found satisfying,
exspecially in my times of darkness
has been the Bible...NIV

:)

debs

·
Registered
49 Posts
to date,
the best spiritual book I have found satisfying,
exspecially in my times of darkness
has been the Bible...NIV

:agree

The best spiritual book is the Bible it is the one book that contains the thoughts of our creator and i have yet to find a better book!

·
The b**** is back
1,121 Posts
I'm a fan of the Dhammapada, myself. You can open it at any page and find something useful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any of Iyanla Vanzant's books, you'll never go wrong. I particularly liked
"In the Mean Time," and "Acts of Faith" although it's specifically for African-Americans, is a great meditational book for anyone.

I also recommend any of Neal Walshe's "Conversations with God" books.

Gary Zukav books are good. His lean more to Buddist and Zen practices.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
In terms of scriptural/religious texts, I have found a lot of good stuff in the Bible, esp. the "Song of Songs", "Genesis", "Gospel of St. Luke" (my fav. gospel), "The Book of Ecclesiastes", and "Psalms" perhaps most of all. "The Dhammapada" is really the seminal Buddhist work of scripture - akin to the Beatitudes of Jesus, but at much greater length. I tried to get into the Bhagavad Gita but I just couldn't. Same with the Upanishads and the Koran. :stu

I've been reading St. John of the Cross, "The Dark Night Of The Soul" and a lot of other things by him. A 15th century Spanish mystic who writes from the point of view of someone who is deeply depressed, lonely, and longs for something 'more'. Hey, someone I can relate to! I've been reading it in the original Spanish to get the full flavor of it.

I've also gotten into some of the writings of Thomas Merton, a more modern Catholic mystic. I'm surprised he hasn't been beatified yet. Maybe his collaboration with interfaith projects (esp. w/ Buddhism) makes him too controversial? Although it seems to me that anyone could learn from others' religions and not necessarily have to subscribe to them.

I second the book, "Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl.

I also forgot to mention the little book "Becoming Human" by Jean Vanier. Vanier spent years working with people w/ cognitive impairments and writes a radical tome about opening ourselves to our weaknesses and to the weaknesses of others. IOW 'embracing our weaknesses', which reminds me of what Paul wrote (I Cor. 1:25) "And God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And... things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are." A fantastic little read.

·
Registered
16 Posts
All these texts seem interesting. I have read books that were not written on the topic, but which nontheless conveyed spiritual messages and lessons. I dislike the books that primarily focus on dictating morality; I much prefer texts that cite issues and present to the readers the various interpretations that exist. It would be great if the book ultimately created a personal connection with the reader, whatever his/her spiritual background may be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love:

Sylvia Browne: Past Lives, Future Healings
Sylvia Browne: Book of Dreams
Sylvia Browne: Book of Angels
Sylvia Browne: Conversations on the Other Side
Sylvia Browne: God, Creation and Tools for Life
Sylvia Browne: The Soul's Journey
Sylvia Browne: The Nature of Good & Evil
Sylvia Browne: Mother God

also

The Art of Happiness by the Dali Lama

·
Registered
314 Posts
pyramidsong said:
I'm a fan of the Dhammapada, myself. You can open it at any page and find something useful.
I, also, love the Dhammapada. And for the same reason.

My favorite though, which is not really a spiritual book, per se is The True Believer by Eric Hoffer. There's a review here at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 8?v=glance

It helped me realize why I had to leave organized religion and, best of all, it let me realize that it was "O.K." to do so.

·
Registered
247 Posts
AlekonaKini said:
The Art of Happiness by the Dali Lama
I'm bumping this because I feel that this book is very important. I think it is more than a book on spirituality- I feel like it belongs in the self-help section. If you like my posts and you think I know my sh*t well it's not inherent wisdom, a lot of what I feel to be true has come from this book. I think it will help some here to really change their perspective, how they view the world and themselves in it. I highly recommend it and at the very least it can't hurt you to read it- unless you get a paper cut- those hurt, so flip pages with caution.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
tiberius said:
Anthony de Mello's Awareness.

There is only one cause of unhappiness: the false beliefs you have in your head, beliefs so widespread, so commonly held, that it never occurs to you to question them.
Would you give us some examples of the false beliefs the author is referring to?

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
Marcus Aurelius - Meditations
St. Augustine - Confessions (parts are kind of dull, but it's a pretty nice slow read)
The Little Flowers of St. Francis

1 - 20 of 22 Posts