Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I got out of college, I found I had a tough time finding places to meet people in the 25 - 34 age group. I've been looking at various volunteer opportunities, hobbyist organizations and other groups, but they either a) are part of a college, meaning their members are 18 -25 or b) not part of a college, and their members tend to be 40+ (or families with small children). What kinds of activities do the 25 - 34 year-olds participate in after they get out of college?

I know the popular answer is "check out the bars and clubs", but I'm not much of a bar/club person. So, where can I go after work and on weekends other than bars and clubs to find people in this age bracket? And for that matter, how come it seems like people in this age bracket don't do many "extracurricular" activities like they did in school?

·
3.14 rocks!
701 Posts
I second the meetup.com option. I met a friend my age through the photographer's club. Also if you create art you can try to have a few pieces for sale at the local gallery, that will eventually lead to meeting others.

Yeah, it seems that 25-34, right out of college, just started their careers and are time sunk into them. I've had no luck finding male friends that are into the same things as I am with out them being dragged down into the abyss of corporate life or have several ankle biters ratting the rugs. (no offense intended to anyone)

How about finding an excuse to go back to school for something even just BS classes you enjoy. IDK.

Same boat here. =/

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having the same problem, nascar. I'm about to be 26, and I don't have any friends. When I was in college, SA was a bigger problem and I didn't end up making any friends. Now, while I still deal with SA, it's not as bad as it used to be and I'd really like to start socializing, but I literally have no idea where to meet people in my town. I'm starting to think maybe I should just move to a big city like NYC or Chicago, and kinda start my life over. But unfortunately, I don't have the money for that. I think everyone here in my town that's my age has pretty much established their friendships in high school and college, and now I've just been left behind. This isn't much of a bar/clubbing kind of town, and plus I've never even been in a bar or club so I'd have no idea what do to, and plus I'd have to go alone, which would probably make me look like a total weirdo. I've tried volunteering before, but I didn't make any friends that way, so I guess maybe I can try that again....also, I looked on meetup.com awhile back, but the only groups for people my age seemed to have more members that were from out of town and looking to meet people. Since I've lived here my whole life, I'm afraid I'd just look like a huge loser if I joined one of those.

Anyway, if anyone else has other suggestions I would love to hear them as well...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.