Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do think is the best country/state/city for SAD strugglers?

I live in small town America. Based on my experience, it seems like it would be nice to live in a large, progressive city (like Seattle). Small town folks tend to be rather parochial and judgmental, which doesn't help my SAD.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Its tough to tell. I've lived in a town of 5000 people, a town of 45000, and just outside of st louis. My anxiety was better overall in stlouis at that time in my life, so IDK if at this point where my anxiety is really bad, if it wouldve helped or been worse. I never worried as much about people though because theres just so many around, never felt like people were paying attention to me like they did in the smaller town. But everything being soo crowded had its down points. Just negatives and positives to all of them.

·
Certified Loner
119 Posts
I am wondering this too, as I will probably have to move within the next year. I like big cities...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think the less people there are, the more attention and time these people have to analyze you. When I lived in Houston, Texas everyone in that city was so busy they didn't pay any attention to me at all, which I loved! Now being stuck in a town of 3,000...I'm being judged by these closed minded people. And they literally have nothing better to do because they're in the middle of nowhere. Can't wait to move to the city, meet new people on my own and not have people in my business all the time!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sometimes I feel like I'd love to be a monk or something. However, my true self isn't that reclusive. If I let this disorder control me, I'll never be truly happy or fulfilled.

·
HeavyDirtySøul
5,969 Posts
What do think is the best country/state/city for SAD strugglers?

I live in small town America. Based on my experience, it seems like it would be nice to live in a large, progressive city (like Seattle). Small town folks tend to be rather parochial and judgmental, which doesn't help my SAD.
I live in a small town too and you are right, there is A LOT of judgement. Not to mention I cant meet up with anyone or have group therapy for SA, because my town is so small. There are more opportunities and open minded people in larger towns or cities. If I could move anywhere it would be Seattle like you said. But if you are afraid of traffic and large groups of people, a city isnt for you obviously. So its a hard question.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I'd trade places ANYDAY with anyone from a small town.

The city I live in sucks...

I personally think living in a city only makes things worse, much worse. Your thinking there are many different people to socialize with, different mindsets, different looks, different ways of doing things, different people in general right? Well your dead wrong, in my experience, most people from the city aren't looking for friendship, they've got tons of friends already. They seem fake, everyone seems the same, they do whatever is the "cool" thing at the time, and are just all around ball-ache people...

Of course, this is just my experience, but still, imo small towns are easily better...

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I doubt it really matters where you live with SA. A lot of us don't bother going outside all that much anyhow, so Alaska & Florida are pretty much the same under those conditions.

People in big cities are judgmental. They just don't have the time to judge you in particular as you're just one in a million. Much easier to judge when the town has to change the population sign when old Mrs. Smith dies.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Italy i think. But really it only works if your born there, usually big famliy lots of friends. People don't make a big deal of social interaction or physical contact like in America.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
I'd trade places ANYDAY with anyone from a small town.

The city I live in sucks...

But hey, at least you don't live in Headingley, right? (*lived in Headingley*)

Back to the topic at hand: I don't know if there's a specific city that'd be "good" for your SA. I've lived in a few different places, and I haven't found that my SA has been affected much at all. Then again, there are resources in large cities that you don't have access to in smaller centres.

·
The Beautiful Struggle
197 Posts
I would say any big city this way you can just blend in as a opposed to a small town where everyone knows everyone.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts