Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has been asked in the forums before, and it is kind of a generic question with no definitive answer but i was wondering if there was anybody around my age who has experience with social anxiety medication.
I'm only 16 and after going to a psychiatrist i have found i have severe social anxiety coupled with GAD and depression after the behavioral cognitive therapy didn't work. Tomorrow i am seeing another psychiatrists to get prescribed medication and i was curious which SSRI works best or what other options i have. I know benzo's are very strong and have some side effects but any reduction in my anxiety is worth a few seemingly small side effects.

·
Registered
423 Posts
You didn't even wait an hour, give people a chance to respond. There is no best medication for everyone, everyone responds differently to medication, if there was any drugs I would especially reccomend trying, it would be the benzodiazepines and amphetamines. SSRI's are all pretty much the same expect for some minor differences. Be aware that they often cause sexual dysfunction though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You didn't even wait an hour, give people a chance to respond. There is no best medication for everyone, everyone responds differently to medication, if there was any drugs I would espccially reccomend trying, it would be the benzodiazepines and amphetamines. SSRI's are all pretty much the same expect for some minor differences.
Thank you very much for your help.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hi Curious,
I can't be much help in regards to suggesting medications. But I'd just suggest giving your psychiatrist as much information about your situation as you can so that he/she can best help you. Also- you said that CBT didn't work but I wouldn't give up on it entirely. Maybe, once you start medication you could try the CBT again and just gradually try to take steps? It's really important that you go really slowly with the therapy. I hope you see improvements soon! Keep us up to date on how you're feeling.

·
alien monk
8,615 Posts
Hello, I can't really help with the meds suggestions either. I was on Paxil/Aropax for a few months years ago but it didn't help.

As far as I am aware the CBT approach is the best hope you have, and like crazyg said it is important to go real slow. Keep thinking of your goals and why you are trying to feel better!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Maybe Zoloft -? which is an SSRI. I haven't had any side effects (or atleast none severe enough for me to notice)...I've been on it since I was about 19

·
Registered
718 Posts
The people that will be able to work out what is best for you is your psychiatrist and yourself. There is no best medication for social anxiety for you age group or any age group. I do know however that there are certain SSRI's that your psychiatrist will probably be cautious prescribing you with as they can sometimes increase suicidality in teenagers and young adults.

I've only ever tried one SSRI for primarily treating depression, best advice is to be patient for the SSRI to kick into effect. Sometimes it can take months.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just turned 17; I've had anxiety since I was 8. My current diagnosis is Social Anxiety Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder, Major Recurrent Depressive Disorder, Emotional Disturbance Disorder. I've tried over a dozen antidepressants/anxiolytics with mixed results. Some of them would work for awhile, but I would eventually become immune to their effects.

Currently I am taking 300mg Effexor XR and .5mg Xanax per day as needed (among other things). I'm not sure that the Effexor helps with my anxiety, but it's the only thing that has allieviated my depression in the last 8+ months. As someone else mentioned, there isn't any best medication, even for a certain age group. It's just trial and error until you find something that works for you. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys! I got a prescription for 50mg of zoloft daily, and haven't taken one yet because I'm currently waiting for the prescription to be filled. I will update you after i take the first dose to tell you if i have any side effects or anything like that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This may sound pretty bad, but when i was your age i would take xanax bars with my friends all the time for recreation, i just did it though to relive my anxiety.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I buy them every once in a while from people i know but I only take .5-1mg at a time.

I've only taken the zoloft twice now and last night I didnt sleep at all... I was wide awake all night, is this a normal side effect? It also makes me pretty nauseous and from what I've researched thats a pretty normal side effect...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, does anybody know if it's safe to take promethazine with an SSRI for nausea? I have an old script in my house and I just wanted to make sure it was safe before i took it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm not a doctor but I think the side effects take awhile to begin just as the positive effects from ssri do. Do you usually sleep well or is it common to have a restless nights?

As for the pill mixing I'd call your doctor, or any doctor, or you can call the pharmacy (# is on the bottle) and ask them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts