Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread a couple days ago about wanting to have a benzo prescribed to me for panic attacks during class presentations. My doctor prescribed me ativan. I tested it out, and it made me feel drunk. I was having very mild hallucinations and very mild auditory hallucinations. I was prescribed .5 mg, but I took 1 mg because the .5 did not really do much.

I can see how the ativan may help prevent a panic attack because I felt completely high/drunk on it... But is there a benzo that just changes your mental state? I don't want to feel so drunk... I just want to be very confident.

Any suggestions? I keep hearing about klonopin. Is that worth trying?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Klonopin is my miracle drug. It's helped so much with my SA and the only downside is that you have to find the right dose for yourself or else you'll get sleepy. It took that feeling of my nerves being on end at all times and made me actually feel normal. However, be careful with ANY benzo as they all have dependency issues. Although you may be one of the lucky few that don't get withdrawals I recently went a week and a half without it and felt like utter hell.

I've been taking the medicine for almost 3 years now and I'm already looking for an exit strategy for when I'm comfortable that I can stay off the medicine. If you do end up taking Klonopin, please please please make sure you start the right regiment and take your medication daily and as instructed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Klonopin is my miracle drug. It's helped so much with my SA and the only downside is that you have to find the right dose for yourself or else you'll get sleepy. It took that feeling of my nerves being on end at all times and made me actually feel normal. However, be careful with ANY benzo as they all have dependency issues. Although you may be one of the lucky few that don't get withdrawals I recently went a week and a half without it and felt like utter hell.

I've been taking the medicine for almost 3 years now and I'm already looking for an exit strategy for when I'm comfortable that I can stay off the medicine. If you do end up taking Klonopin, please please please make sure you start the right regiment and take your medication daily and as instructed.
Thank you for your thoughtful response to my question. I would only use a benzo as needed. I only get panic attacks during presentations. I only have presentations about once a month, so I would only need to use it once a month. I am on Zoloft for daily management of anxiety. It has helped somewhat.

Based on your experiences, does the klonopin actually help with the mental portion of anxiety? I want to get up in front of an audience and be mostly fearless and confident. I don't want the drunk feeling. How does klonopin make you feel?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I only get panic attacks during presentations. I only have presentations about once a month, so I would only need to use it once a month.
I'd start by saying there isn't a best benzo. Rather it's a matter of which benzo works best for you and the only way to know what's best is to try different ones. I've tried the four commonly used benzos in the US: Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, and Ativan. It's unlikely you'll find anyone on this board who's consumed more benzos than I have, so I speak from experience.

Klonopin is a long-acting benzo. Due to its long duration it's frequently used in cases where somebody needs to be on a benzo all the time. It certainly could be used for presentations, though you'd likely want to go with a short-acting benzo like Xanax instead. After all, a presentation is over pretty fast so you hardly need a drug that will last all day.

I don't want the drunk feeling. How does klonopin make you feel?
I've been using Klonopin recently (after a decade of daily Xanax use). I notice that Klonopin clearly lasts longer than Xanax, just as it's expected to. It doesn't produce any drunk feeling for me, but then no benzo in any amount ever has.

Drowsiness is by far the most common benzo side effect and odds are you had this "drunk" feeling because you're totally new to benzos. I agree it would make sense to try others and see if they work better for you, with Xanax being a #1 choice given that a short-acting drug would be a perfect fit for your needs.

As is the case with all meds, it's very much an individual thing. I know a woman who hates Xanax, but she loves Ativan. This despite the fact that they're substantially similar and should both have the same effect. To me they'd be interchangeable.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts