Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So so. I am going with a friend to see her psychiatrist and will very likely be prescribed meds. I'm expecting an SSRI, but I do have panic attacks sometimes from it, especially at school (eg. performance) and know that people often get prescribed benzos (like xanax) for the panic attacks. I really badly want benzos for things like oral presentations, as I have severe severe anxiety and barely scrape out words.

Problem is, the psychiatrist knows about my "self-medication". That is, I have been taking opiates as sort of makeshift benzos for the past 6 mnths. Opiates that er...aren't mine. I believe I am doing it responsibly, though. I haven't just taken them randomly, only veyr sparingly (once per month. maybe).

Do you think that benzos (given their addictive nature) are totally ot of the picture for me (from here, ever), or can i possibly spin it, focusing on how I didn't actually get addicted to them/go overboard/use them recreationally.

Am I ****ed?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
If you have opiates, why do you need benzos? Opiates are so much better for anxiety and mood without slowing you down.
I can say that methadone sucks -- just gives me a headache. Other opioids must be the calming, happy ones.

For others, I'd have to recommend exercising your right to remain silent, avoiding any issue that could be used against you.

As if you're f'ed, I think that would depend on the particular doctor. It seems blatantly obvious to me from your post that you're not some junkie looking for a high. Using some painkiller once a month for six months isn't a big deal at all IMO. It seems quite clear that you were using them for a real medical need as you had nothing else to use. May I ask what drug and in what amount you used?

I'm sure a fair number of anxiety patients self-medicate with alcohol (a lot more often than once a month), but tell their doc they never drink if asked. Any doc who'd believe every patient tells the truth would have to be an idiot. There is no reason you should be denied benzos simply because you're one of the non-liars out there. Being punished for telling the truth hardly seems fair and clearly isn't something that is going to promote truthfulness.

Spin the story so that it's in your favor: you only used the painkillers because you were too afraid to see a doctor because your SA is so severe that seeing a doc is almost impossible. I'm guessing that spin isn't far from the truth.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I can say that methadone sucks -- just gives me a headache. Other opioids must be the calming, happy ones.
I've heard other opioids are better than methadone, but maybe you just didn't get a high enough dose? It blocks the NMDA receptor unlike most opioids, so isn't representative of their effects.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is old now, but it was dilaudid, and just enough to calm my anxiety (about 2mg). Someone gave them to me because they no longer needed them. I don't have a continuous supply of them. I kind of wish my friend hadn't talked about me first, esp. since the doc proposed as one option, that i see her friend who is a freaking drug counselor :/

thanks. you guys rule.

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
To me, Methadone was my Opioid of choice when I was on pain meds. Maybe cause I had easy access to it, but it greatly improved my depression/social anxiety. The nod is pretty bad with Methadone though.

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
What's a nod or is that a typo?:stu
A nod is where you start to kinda nod out and you (well atleast me) have to sorta shake your head to stay awake normally without looking completely out of it. Like you just get so comfortable that your head kinda nods down and your kinda out of it. I use to just shake my head to get back to normal. Nod is like nodding out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts