Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Live.Laugh.Love.
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently taking Klonopin 4mg a day I have been on that does for about well 2 years now. I feel like I am getting nothing from it. I do think it affects my attention span and remembering dates and such I have talked with my old doctor about this but he dismissed it. I am seeing a new doctor very soon and want something new I think... I need something that will control my anxiety in whole, I need something that will prevent panic attacks and let me be a young adult that me be in a room with other people and leave the house more. Do you guys have any suggestions and can you explain if you do this is all foreign to me. Thanks for what ever help you can give! :D

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I am currently taking Klonopin 4mg a day I have been on that does for about well 2 years now. I feel like I am getting nothing from it. I do think it affects my attention span and remembering dates and such I have talked with my old doctor about this but he dismissed it.
He dismissed it, even though the entire medical community recognises amnesia and cognitive impairment as common side-effects?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
A doc who is "forcing" you to take benzos. Now this is a new one. The "I can't get benzos" posts are a dime a dozen, but I think this may be the first of its kind that I've seen in over 6 years here.

And, a suggestion for the OP, please change the color of your text. It's really hard on the eyes.

Keep in mind that you're in charge. If you don't want to take Klonopin then don't. It's not as if you have to ask permission to NOT take a drug. I'm assuming there is more to this story than you've told us so far as it would be almost impossible to believe that you ended up on 4 mg of Klonopin daily for a couple of years -- which is quite a long time given your young age -- if you didn't already have a somewhat extensive collection of meds before this.

What have you tried before. Others here could likely better help you if we knew what you've already tried and how that worked, since that would keep us from wasting your time suggesting things that you had already tried and failed on.

Good luck.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
He dismissed it, even though the entire medical community recognises amnesia and cognitive impairment as common side-effects?
While those are benzo side effects and some benzos are even used in some settings (both legally [surgery] & illegally [date rape] to produce amnesia) one would not commonly expect therapeutic doses of Klonopin to produce amnesia.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
While those are benzo side effects and some benzos are even used in some settings (both legally [surgery] & illegally [date rape] to produce amnesia) one would not commonly expect therapeutic doses of Klonopin to produce amnesia.
It's all relative to dose. 0.5mg clonazepam won't really affect your memory, but >2mg certainly will in many people. It is a common side-effect:

http://www.medicinenet.com/benzodiazepines-oral/article.htm

I don't mean total "gap in memory" amnesia; at moderate doses it'll be more a loss of details.

In myself, anything above 1.5mg made my memory pretty hazy. It took 3mg+ to start forgetting stuff completely. These numbers will vary between people based on tolerance and other factors.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
In the past I got started on 8mg of Klonopin / day with very little Benzo tolerance and didn't feel it affected my memory substantially, I made my exams as usual and didn't forget things.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Maybe I'm not human, I'll get my DNS checked and PM you the results, ok? ;)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I still don't understand that. Everyone I know has a similar response to me with benzos.
Likely some bias in your sample. Who's more likely to tell you about the benzo experience? The ones who had no memory problems or the ones who had lots of problems? People don't complain about non-events, so you're biased to hearing about the bad stuff with everything, not just benzos.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My psychiatrist explicitly told me benzos impair certain memory functions. The way he put it, if you use benzos before class, you'll be just fine at remembering the reading from last night (in case you get called on), but won't retain as much of what the professor is saying.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
In the past I got started on 8mg of Klonopin / day with very little Benzo tolerance and didn't feel it affected my memory substantially, I made my exams as usual and didn't forget things.
similar experience, I took Xanax for a whole year last year and it did not affect my grades in the least. Infact, on my anatomy exam at the end of the year (anatomy - based entirely on memorization) I got a 98, the highest score of all tests and far above class average. I would argue benzos improved my memory by removing distracting thoughts. Interference is one of the big things that make us forget things. Benzos reduce this. There is plenty of research on this.
Also, lets not forget stress can kill your memory irreparably.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Wow, 8mg? I can get by tolerating 2 mg a day of Klonopin and since I got back on it it has significantly improved my anxiety. Alprazolam just dropped me leaving me to the point of an anxiety attack but Klon. doesn't do that. it stays in the system longer and so I don't get dropped feeling anxious as much.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I always had very high tolerance to GABAergic drugs. One night when I couldn't sleep I took 70mg zolpidem (Ambien) within 2 hours, but was still awake and watching some movie on the internet. ;) People with epilepsy sometimes take even more Klonopin than 8mg / day AFAIK mixed with other anticonvulsants.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Piracetam helps control benzo amnesia.
It's a non-toxic safe cognitive boosting supplement, it's more effective if you combine with choline.

And lol, gotta agree with ultrashy, consider yourself lucky you have a doctor that is 'forcing' benzos on you. Wanna swap doctors?

·
Live.Laugh.Love.
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Piracetam helps control benzo amnesia.
It's a non-toxic safe cognitive boosting supplement, it's more effective if you combine with choline.

And lol, gotta agree with ultrashy, consider yourself lucky you have a doctor that is 'forcing' benzos on you. Wanna swap doctors?
Why is everyone saying Im lucky to be on this, I have been on it for years and I am just not getting what I want out of it.

The previous medications a short list the ones I can remember:
paxil
lexapro
zoloft
seroquel
abilify
lamictal<currently>
trazadone
risperdal
effexor
depakote
tramadal
klonapin<currently>
I have had some bad side effects that just dont go away with most of these meds or weird ones like i think it was seroquel where i got a red rash on my face. There are more and Im not just being treated for anxiety I am being treated for Anxiety GAD SAD and Seperation Anxiety also a little depression and a mood disorder no one can seem to name possibly bio polar2 not manic at all just trouble with anger and such.... I see my new doctor on the 5th I think he will want me off the benzos but I have no idea....

Thanks for all the information!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.