Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which type of medication do you guys prefer for SA? From reading around it seems that with benzos you can take them occasionally without tolerance or dependance, but because ssri's are slow acting you have to take them daily which results in becoming dependant on them and constantly having to put up with the side efffects? I don't really want to have the sexual side effects that ssri's seem to have on so many people.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If you only need temporary relief during short term situations that cause you particularly high levels of anxiety than occasional benzo use might be more appropriate. SSRI's are typically better at helping people with continuous, un-relenting, high levels of anxiety.

You will have no idea how effective or ineffective any med will be for you till you try it, nor will you know the kinds of side effects or lack of SE's you will get from them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you only need temporary relief during short term situations that cause you particularly high levels of anxiety than occasional benzo use might be more appropriate. SSRI's are typically better at helping people with continuous, un-relenting, high levels of anxiety.
That's why I thought benzos might be better for my circumstances at the moment, I don't talk to anyone at uni and keep a low profile so the only time I get really anxious is in group/lab work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You might want to look into Beta blockers, Some people, particularly musicians, use beta blockers to avoid stage fright and tremor during public performance

·
Registered
516 Posts
That's why I thought benzos might be better for my circumstances at the moment, I don't talk to anyone at uni and keep a low profile so the only time I get really anxious is in group/lab work.
That's what I said until I started taking it regularly, just watch out if you do end up taking benzo's. Because if you were like me you wanted to take it only a few times a week, but the anti-anxiety effect it gives you can be kind of addicting and then it kind of becomes a habit. So just watch out for that and make sure you give yourself regular days off within the week if you do do it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might want to look into Beta blockers, Some people, particularly musicians, use beta blockers to avoid stage fright and tremor during public performance
My doctor has pescribed me 40mg propanolol upto 4 times a day, it helps a lot with the symptoms which in turn helps with the anxiety to a degree, but there is still a lot of anxiety, especially anticipatory anxiety that stops me doing anything.

That's what I said until I started taking it regularly, just watch out if you do end up taking benzo's. Because if you were like me you wanted to take it only a few times a week, but the anti-anxiety effect it gives you can be kind of addicting and then it kind of becomes a habit. So just watch out for that and make sure you give yourself regular days off within the week if you do do it.
I thought that I could eliminate that temptation by asking my doctor to pescribe me only say 10 pills a month so I couldn't take enough to become addicted to it, does that sound like a good plan?

·
Registered
84 Posts
My doctor has pescribed me 40mg propanolol upto 4 times a day, it helps a lot with the symptoms which in turn helps with the anxiety to a degree, but there is still a lot of anxiety, especially anticipatory anxiety that stops me doing anything.
Why on earth do you need that much propanol in one day and at a high dose????

That turns out like 160mg/day? Are you like being exposed to extreme social situation like almost every hour or have high blood pressure because the most i've ever taken is 60mg and that was for a presentation which i was really nervous for

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why on earth do you need that much propanol in one day and at a high dose????

That turns out like 160mg/day? Are you like being exposed to extreme social situation like almost every hour or have high blood pressure because the most i've ever taken is 60mg and that was for a presentation which i was really nervous for
I never take that much, only one pill a day if I'm going to need it, just shows you how clueless GP's are really.

Ash09 lists their location as England. Question answered. No benzos for you!

Thank the NHS.
What about seeing a psychiatrist privately?

·
Registered
64 Posts
What would a psychiatrist prescribe in the UK for severe anxiety or panic attacks?
Just curious!

·
Registered
516 Posts

I thought that I could eliminate that temptation by asking my doctor to pescribe me only say 10 pills a month so I couldn't take enough to become addicted to it, does that sound like a good plan?
Sounds like a good plan.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
What about seeing a psychiatrist privately?
Well, if you've got the money. When Ozzy needs some pills, I doubt the doctor who makes a house call to his estate in Britain says "No, I can't give you that Mr. Osbourne" since that would likely result in Ozzy saying "Then I can't ****ing give you this huge ****ing check you ****ing jerk. Now get the **** out my ****ing house."

I suspect those with huge bank accounts get a different level of care thus us mere mortals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts